SketchUp 2024 bug: can't snap to Axis inside groups and components

SketchUp 2024 axis snap inside containers (groups, components) does not work:

I’m not sure if this is a bug or an internal decision to disable axis snapping inside containers. If it’s the latter, then it’s a very bad decision! Is anyone aware of this? Or is this being addressed?

1 Like

hello,
I noticed there were differences in the 2024 version while editing groups / components too in the inference system, and it is really annoying

note that if you unhide the rest of model, axis snapping will come back (view > component edit > hide rest of model - I personally have a shortcut to it)

2 Likes

Holy moly you’re right, unhiding rest of model reactivated the snapping! Thank you! :pray:t2:
Why on earth is this a thing now? And why is there no setting in the menu to revert to the old way?

1 Like

I believe it’s an unwanted change that was brought with 2024 version (I don’t know about 2023 that I skipped - I went from 2022 to 2024)

1 Like

it’s not just axes, here’s an example of inference with context, same model, same group edition, 2022 and 2024 :

2024 inference system is somewhat erratic

1 Like

I seem to not have that particular problem? Or am I not doing the same thing you were doing?

There is a bigger issue! The Line tool does not snap to any axes, whether inside or outside containers. The Tape Measure snaps to the guides, but the Line tool not al all.
This is insane! Do you have this too?

I don’t think line tool ever snapped to axes

I have trouble remembering how it was in old versions of SketchUp but I somehow remember being able to snap to axis with the Line tool. It seems you first have to hover on the origin point to activate the snapping feature?

Can it be that they changed some things in the background without documentation?

I can’t reproduce it everytime either, it depends on context and if many elements are close or overlapping. That’s why I call it erratic. But clearly it has changed and not for the best

1 Like

Something is definitely not right with this.
I clearly remember being able to snap to the axis when I have selected an object.
I’m no longer able to do that.
Trying to align the selected midpoint of this object with the Z axis. It just won’t snap. This was not the case in previous versions.

it… never did ?
if first you hover on the origin, then it’ll try to align on it, just like any other point. but beyond that, the drawing tools don’t snap on the axis.

nor that. just for closure, I launched SU17 to check, and even then it didn’t work like you describe. unless again if you do the hovering thing on the origin point first that starts inferencing.

someone with an older version installed can check as well, but I’m pretty sure It’s been like that at least since SU13 (first one I started teaching)

Thank you Pierre, I must be remembering it wrongly. I checked on a colleague’s PC where he has 2022 installed, and there too the Line Tool doesn’t snap to axes (unless activated first on the origin, like you say).

This is not the first time I’m having such “fake” memories though… Some months ago I made a post asking whether a certain feature was removed, only to be told that there was no such feature in the first place…
My memory of SketchUp goes all the way back to 2010, so maybe that’s where this all is coming from, no idea.

But fact remains - they DID change axis snapping inside containers. That for aure wasn’t the case in old versions. No oje seems to like it either.

There was a problem for a while, where if you had changed the axes inside a group or component, the right-click reset option would not show. I can’t now reproduce that in any version, so I’m not sure when it was fixed.

Hey there Colin,

Is that bug linked to the snapping bug?
While we’re at it - is the inability to snap to in-group axes while rest of model is hidden a bug or a feature change?

Thanks for that question, it reminded me what the issue was. This is currently broken in 24.0.1, but is fixed in later versions. Don’t know the date for when the next 2024 update will be posted.

2 Likes