SketchUp 2021 Thumbnails Don't Display

Not only do my drawing icons for not show as a thumbnail they show the 2020 SU logo.

Did you install SketchUp properly by selecting its installer’s exe file [in Downloads?], right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”, if it’s already installed when prompted choose “Repair”…

Actually I install all my apps etc in that fashion. Just for grins I did a repair now the icons show with the correct logo.:smile: just knot with the thmbnail.

edit: spellin error

I guess there’s a typo ?
I did a repair, not==now the icons show with the correct [version] logo.
But NOT the files thumbnail !!

Thanks, I made some changes with the spelling and a minor correction.

1 Like

I had the same issues:

• no thumbnail displayed for .skp files saved by Sketchup Pro 2021 (as file version 2021)
  • thumbnails saved in Sketchup Pro 2021 as .skp Version 2020 or earlier were generated/displayed.
  • logo was still the older red colored logo
  • when right clicking on a .skp file in the Windows explorer, the “Open with…” showed always the Icon and text “Sketchup 2019”.

The last two points I fixed manually in the Windows registry, but the thumb nail issue remained.

On the laptop I had Sketchup Pro Versions 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 installed.
In addition also the Sketchup Viewer 2019, 2020, 2021.

What I did today to fix finally the thumbnail issue, is:

• de-install Pro version 2018 (did not help the thumbnail issue)
  • re-run the Pro 2019 installer file and choose"Repair". (did not hep the thumbnail issue)
    - de-install Pro version 2019 (did not help the thumbnail issue)
  • re-run the 2021 Sketchup viewer installer file an choose repair (did not help the thumbnail issue)
    - re-run the 2021 SketchupPro installer file and choose “Repair”. Now the Thumbnails for 2021 .skp files were generated :slight_smile:

So in the end I think the issue was the Sketchup Pro 2018 and 2019 installation. Especially, because the “Open with” never was changed from 2019 to 2020 and later 2021.
Because the file format changed in version 2021 and the old 2019 thumbnail generation library (obviously) can not read the new file format, the thumbnails were not generated. In addition, it seems the Sketchup Pro 2021 installer does not properly register the new thumbnail library, if a 2018 or 2019 installation is present.

Additional note on 25.Jan:
After uninstalling SketchUp 2018 and 2019 and installing SketchUp 2021, you can also re-install SketchUp 2018 and 2019, if needed. But during the installation process make sure, that you do NOT select the .skp file to be associated with SketchUp 2018/2019.
Once installation, you might again not see the thumbnails of .skp 2021 files. Then just re-run the SketchUp 2021 setup program and choose “Repair”. After this all should work fine.

1 Like

Same problem…
I founded an old version of sketchup 2020 and desinstall it.
I made a repair of Sketchup 2021. (did not help the thumbnail issue)
I desinstalled the 2021 version of Sketchup 2021.
Reboot.
I reinstalled the 2021 version of Sketchup (of feb 1 2021 named 391-128)
For the thumbnails that appeared with a logo of Sk2021, they now appear with a blanc sheet.
I re-run 2021 Sketchup pro installer, choose repair. (But it did not help the thumbnail issue)

You must run the installer’s exe file [in Downloads ?] using right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”
Then choose the “Repair” option in the dialog…

You must NOT ‘Run’ the installer by double-clicking it or choose ‘Run’ from its context menu !
It is not the same, even if your user-account has some admin-powers…

If this fails search the forums for related posts - e.g. about ‘C++ redistributable’ installations…

2 Likes

If I am not mistaken, the thumbnail program is ThumbsUp.dll.
It is in C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 20xx
where xx = 21, 20, 19, 18, etc?

Did you check there is no such directory anymore, except SketchUp 2021?
(Maybe from a previous not properly de-installed version)

1 Like

Many thanks TIG.
I disinstalled the Skup, and reinstalled it as admin (seemed such a good idea…).
Them again in adm mode for repair. Reboot.
But same problem : in the open menu, the newest things appears as a big SkUp 2021 logo.

Many thanks uweb.
(Seemed a good idea too !)
I found old folder of SkUp 2018 2019 in the C:/ProgrammData and deleted them.
No other old SkUp folder elsewhere.
Then I desisntalled SkUp.
I reinstalled it -admin mode- (version 2021 31/12/2020 21-0-339) + repair
then reinstalled the last version (version 2021 01/02/2021 21-0-391) + repair
No better thumbnails :
I even saw that the refresh F5 loose some pictures, and get back to the SkUp Logo !

Thanks for all your support. I really appreciate.
(Jack, in France)

(Just an example : after F5, I even lost some thumbnails !)

The sketchup folders in Programdata would not have hurt - could have stayed. They contain licenses and some settings.

Is it correct, that the thumbnails that were not replaced by sketchup icons are from files of sketchup version 2020 or earlier? meaning these files were not saved using Sketchup 2021?

and the files where the thumbnail was replaced with the sketchup icon were files saved with Sketchup 2021?

You can also do a test:
open sketchup 2021 create a new geometry and save it as Sketchup version 2020 or earlier.
Then do a “save as” and choose skp (version 2021) as file type.

For which of the files do you see a thumbnail generated?

1 Like

(Good idea !) But … none of them !!!
test for versions saved as 2018-2019-2020-2021.
FYI, some thumbnails are is good, saved last days of december…
But a simple cube, even saved with 2015, doesn’t have a good thumbnail.

OK, to summarize:

• You had some leftovers of earlier SketchUp Pro versions, but removed manually
  • Only version installed now is Version 2021
  • any new created file with SketchUp 2021 does not get a thumbnail generated. Only the SketchUp log is shown
  • from existing files only some have today a thumbnail.

Question:
If you open such a file in SketchUp 2021 and save it again as the same file version, is then the thumbnail gone as well?

If so, then the thumbnail generation seems completely broken and there might be some leftovers in the registry.
I do not know, if the following procedure helps, but you can try:

• deinstall SketchUp 2021

• make sure there are no references in the Windows registry anymore.
    If you are not familiar with the regedit tool, then do install again those versions of SketchUp you had once installed:

• install SketchUp version 2018 and during install do NOT select any file types to be associated. Check Thumbnail generation. Then deinstall SketchUp 2018.
    • install SketchUp version 2019 and during install do NOT select any file types to be associated. Check thumbnail generation. Then deinstall SketchUp 2019.
    • Install SketchUp Version 2020.Check thumbnail generation. Then deinstall SketchUp 2020.
  • Install again 2021.
  • Hope it works :slight_smile:
1 Like

If you open such a file (old thumbnail, wit the picture) in SketchUp 2021 and save it again as the same file version, is then the thumbnail gone as well?
YES unfortunately

I can make operations on registry if you know what …
Is there anything else as “open with…” that we can check or modify for the assocation of thumbnails in W10 ?

I’ll do all the install/deinstall in adm mode this evening (french time).
Thanks again for your brain time and suggestions :wink:

Welcome.

I think, the thumbnail generation is not linked to the file type association.
once you have deinstalled the 2021 Version (also the Viewers, if you installed) using the sketchup installer file, you can call regedit and search for “Sketchup”. In case Sketchup entries are still there after deinstall, you will get to the entries with F3. the openwith you can delete. also the thumbnail registration you will find. But this is part of Class registrations and you have to delete the whole key in all ocurrences. reboot, once you are done. Then you see, if no errors occur after the registry changes.

The install and deinstall is probably easier, even though it will take a bit longer.

Hi Uwe, I have good news for you… I’m so happy!
2 hours (!!!) spent with the Regedit, looking for “skp” … and many many others things under that 3 letters. I should have started with “.skp” or “sketchup” … that I did after.
I deleted about 80 entries … 2 of them were refused (even trying to change the rights… no way)
Then I rebooted,
and I reinstalled the last Sketchup 2021, in admin mode.
Everything came back !!!

I’m so happy, it will save me lot of time.
So again, thanks for your support and all your knowledge (maybe intuition !).

There currently exist two forum threads started by the same user on the same day about the same issue.

In the other thread, I provide a solution to the missing thumbnail issue.

it would be better if the car manufacturer sells their car in good running condition rather than the buyer having to take the engine apart to find the fault and especially if he has increased the price by 100%

2 Likes