SketchUp 2020 has landed!

It’s not a turnkey migration from one version to the next I agree, but there are some tips to make it relatively smooth. I reinstalled about 40 extensions in an hour, it gave me a chance to clean house of some older ones that were no longer used. Almost all came with pop up warnings about not being compatible, I have yet to find one that does not work perfectly.

I’m just trying to throw a quick visual together but when I’ve gone to 3D warehouse, I’ve been told I have to sign in which is fair enough. However, it says that I can no longer sign in with Google and have to have a Trimble sign in. When I have tried to create a Trimble sign in, it states that I have to have SU 2019 or later. Maybe I’m missing something?

1 Like

I’ve had a Trimble sign-in since at least the release of SU2018 as I recall so I don’t have any trouble logging in. Perhaps @colin can respond to this. In any case that is different from the 3D Warehouse not being usable by 2018 license holders.

If your maintenance and support was up to date you could have upgraded to SketchUp 2019 and even 2020 if you’re up to date now.

As an aside, you can also just use a web browser. You still have to log in now to use it, but I often prefer to use it that way rather than directly in SU.

1 Like

These artifacts are reported, they do disappear when zooming, yes?

The old internally signin was deprecated in january this year by Google, you cannot use it with versions prior to 19.3
You can if you install later versions, because they use the browser ‘outside’ SketchUp.

Sign in with Google works in 2019.3 and 2020.0. It doesn’t work in earlier versions because Google turned off the ability to sign in from inside an application, you have to use a browser, and the opening of a browser window to sign in was only added in 2019.3.

I hadn’t seen the 2018 sign in dialog before. It works well, and you can remain in 2018. You would want to use the same email address you have used with sign in with Google, mainly to make sure your Extension Warehouse and 3D Warehouse accounts are available. After doing the password reset you can now use your Google sign in email in all other Trimble ID sign in screens.

Many thanks for your speedy replies. I will give that a try now. Thanks again.

Yes, but the lines come back when I go back to the page, or reopen the layout. The layout is 70 pages. It’s bad enough to have to go through every page and rezoom, twice, but to have to do it every time is unacceptable.
Fortunately, I export the presentation to PDF to show it, and the lines go away then, so I guess I can live with it if it’s only me looking at it in Layout. Still, it is annoying.

Hi

I’ve noticed this in Layout 2020 as well. They do disappear as soon as I zoom in or out.

Minor glitch I’m guessing, hopefully fixed in a Maintenance release sometime.

Mike

I wouldn’t mind going between 3d and 2d with two different programs as long as it were more like a livesync and not what it is now (a very long process of updates & re-renders).

I like the idea of SU as ‘pure’ 3d geometry and not getting it mixed up with creating titleblocks, legends, tables, annotative objects etc. But the process has to be much faster and better-integrated!

One possibility might be for SU to have “2d” scene types. Within these scenes, which would have a paper size & scale, the drawing mode becomes locked to a 2d plane and toolbars become focussed on annotation, hatching and so forth So it’s pretty much what Autocad has with a Model Space and Paper Space (and a ribbon interface). I havent used Skalp, but does Skalp do anything similar?

Is there a possible extension that could accomplish this? (it would need table and annotation tools etc so basically working like LO but within SU).

It’s not going back between the 2d and 3d programs in itself that is the problem. I go back and forth all the time when I come up with design ideas while doing the presentation. The problem is going back and forth to carry out what really is the task of one of the programs, the presentation.

I am just trying to set up SU2020 and re-loading extensions. When I get to an extension I want to install, I have to click on an agreement, except that the button is greyed out and non responsive. So I cannot proceed further. Is this just a current EW problem or is there something I am missing? I cannot install any extensions as things stand.

Scroll down and the button will become live. It means you have at least seen the whole text if not read it.

4 Likes

Ah yes, I think I was assuming the side bar was a scroll bar but it didn’t do anything. You need to be within the text area. Cheers.

And you only have to do it once.

That could explain why my extension sales has dropped since EW2.

Although I have downloaded some 25 or more plugin’s NONE show up on the page you indicate. (A few are Fredo6’s and only on Sketucation). The ‘my downloads’ on EW is blank.
Look I am a one-man shop, I don’t have the privileged of programming solutions, I just need to get back to work. I have been a faithful user of Sketchup since Google days. Every year I expect to see someone with a lot more expertise than I, make the routine that will read the previous year’s plugins and check to see if they will work the current year, then install them.
I am sure there are many others who wish the same thing. In fact, my recollection is that this exact subject was discussed way back at SU7 or SU8 as a “WISH LIST” item.

2 Likes

If you install your extensions from Sketchucation using the Sketchucation Extension Store, current version of those extension can be automatically installed in the new version with the click of a button.

The EW had the same sort of option for extensions that were installed from there although the recent change in the Warehouse platform temporarily removed it. We were told that the feature would be restored to the EW interface soon, though.

If users were AR about keeping their extensions up to date, most extensions could actually be copied from one version to the next. Evidence has shown, however, that most users don’t keep their extensions up to date. Some even refuse to update them and complain that SketchUp is alerting them to available updates.

1 Like

I hear you, only a few of mine were there. I did say the place was a WIP.

Thank you for the clear explanation. I try to keep my extensions up-to-date; I have kept all the files from SketchUcation, so that was much easier to install with the Windows/Extension Manager than I had originally thought. The only issue with EW was that many of the files say they are not ready for or compatible with SketchUp 2020.
It appears from my very limited vantage point that the message about updating pertains to some of our authors too. I get it that most of the Ruby writers don’t make money in this venture, and are working in the ‘real’ world for dollars or rubles or pounds or franks. So this is not a condemnation, but just an observation.