SketchUp 2020.2: How is line style control in LayOut working for you?

Are you referring to section cuts?

Yes, the line weights from the new update doesnt affect them unfortunately

SU for content creation (Data) …L0 for Presentation for that data

should be a clear conceptual difference

including dimensions and notation in SU but controlled in LO [they are intimately linked to the content]

SU has quite intelligent dimensions , but it and text does not transfer to LO like the rest of the model

1 Like

For plans my line weight needs are simple so I am seeing how I can use one viewport setting the viewport line scale to the line weight I want for section cuts and then overriding the tags where I want a different line weight by multiples of the viewport line scale
(I use 2D objects for elements such as doors, windows, stairs, etc).

For vertical section cuts I’ve yet to work out what I will do as such section cuts will cut through the 3D object that is a the door or window…

1 Like

Ok I get it now, its because your doors and windows are 2D elements.

Thanks for sharing your technique :slight_smile:

I use Color(e.g. Material) to denote line type, not Layer/Tag. This is where Layout fails me and I have to use CAD for my 2D deliverables.
I use tags for functional things like doors and furniture. I don’t want three times as many tags as I need (e.g. furniture_thick_line, furniture_medium_line, furniture_thin_line) just to control line weight in the output. Color is much easier to manage.
If we could have a way to set Layout line styles by their SketchUp material, then Layout just might replace CAD for my 2D output.

So far - very well. It is serviing its intended purpose of doing away with the nasty Stacked Viewports method.
yay!

I like the clickable Line icon where it pops up with the line weight.
I would ideally like this icon to show the actual weight of the line, or some little icon that lets me know that the line has been modified in LayOut.

Why does the line “scale” (Thickness) max out at 2.0? Can it be 4.0?

I do like that i can select a number of tags and change their line weight all at once…saves a bit of time.

My current LO document has 37 pages, and a lot of complex linework so its a big one, but it’s working pretty well so far. The SketchUp model still has a lot of layers and scenes (about 50 of them) which Im using, because it’s more reliable and faster to process, even though we still desperately need Scene Manager!. LayOuts style settings aren’t reliable - i often need to “reset” to make the model view display correctly. This means I will not be relying on adjusting Tag visibility within LO, I will continue to rely on SU scenes for this.
(Please can we have an option to turn a Tag OFF in all scenes? eg if we add a new tag, then i have to go through 50 scenes to turn it off manually in each!)

One feature missing is the ability to update a style within layout that’s independent of Sketchup. I think that would be a game changer. If we could save Styles (including line thicknesses, colours, AND tag visibility) then we would need to rely much less on SketchUp to control these things and our scenes in SU could really just be used to control camera views, sections, etc.

Finally, a bit off topic but it takes a bit too long to change shadow settings- LO keeps wantting to regenerate something in the background so it’s like 20-30 seconds just to change a time of day, without even re-rendering. Since shadow studies need LOTS of images, this adds up and is tedius.

A few issues/bugs with this version (didnt see them in previous versions):

1. non export of PDF on some more complex pages. Sometimes a single page will export, or a series of pages individually, but when i export a group of 4 or 5 pages, I get no PDF.
  2. Creating a new shape (eg a rectangle) which is white with no outline gives me no visible ‘box’ around the outline when i click & drag to create the new rectangle.
  3. The Eyedropper tool is not working! this is a major issue for me. The tool activates and moves across the image picking up random* colours, but not the coloiur i actually want. It does this whether the underlying SKP model view is raster, or hybrid (havent tried vector).
  • the ‘random’ colours may be those which are already saved to my colour pallete in layout, ie , the eyedropper is not picking up any new colours. the selection of a colour appears random.
2 Likes

After watching @Matt 's video, I realised my line style overrides were not working because the style saved with the particular sketchup scene had the attribute colour edges ‘by material’ checked. This means that no matter what colour I set on the LayOut side of things, the edge colour set in Sketchup takes priority.
It is curious, however, that in the same viewport, although the line colour seems to be ‘locked’ by virtue of the sketchup style, I can change a line style to dashed and this will be applied.

1 Like

like @db11, I totally agree with you. Line style and tag visibility should be entirely independently configurable.
Watching your video also inadvertently shed light on another issue I was having - when copy and pasting a viewport, the copied viewport inherits all the tag visibility settings of the parent viewport even after selecting a different scene! One must then go and click ‘reset’ in the Tags panel which will then retrieve the newly recalled scene’s tag visibilities. In my opinion, this is absurd.
Hey, but at least you figured out what is going on. I thought it was a bug.

@Mark What we would need is a style by object instead of a style by scene in Sketchup. I’ve been asking for that since we had the dashed lines in Sketchup.

@Matt if you had the style by object you could do everything you did in your video, only in sketchup, in a single scene.

@Lulwa if we could simply hide away the section cut line that is showing up in Sketchup Styles, we could have way cleaner section fills. It can be done in Sketchup via a command line (@eneroth3) but it isn’t honored in Layout. That would allow us to be free of a scene/viewport stack exclusively to have the section cut face to heal the section of the model.

Finaly, if we could export tags from a Layout viewport into CAD files, we could finally have a good CAD drawing from our Sketchup+Layout combo, and we could have a better place for Sketchup in an Architectural office.

Right now it requires too much viewport stacking, scene management, and style management from Sketchup to Layout.

For simple stuff as @Matt shows in the video, it works, but we need to move into complex stuff too.

2 Likes

Manually type in the value.

1 Like

I have too much problems with lines updates or not. I am going back to 2020.1 for the moment, until it is fixed.

What problems are you experiencing?

Sometime, I noticed that selected color do not work on tagged lines in Layout 2020.2 Mac.
This is a malfunction (I know that on Mac I have to take care to be sure color is well selected).

There is also an ergonomic problem because I don’t see what I change. I have to validate (press “Ok”) to see the result.
And I am not sure to accept the new approach to move/transform viewports.

Well said JQL,
Keep saying what you are saying, maybe Adam on the the LayOut team will hear you!

They hear us. Things aren’t easily changed but I can see the concerns of the team are pointed in the right direction, what I feel is also that features were brought up a bit erratically in the past and now there is a long term commitment with some strategies, that has lead to some consistent improvement in Layout. I agree with the direction, not always so with how features are implemented.

This shift from Sketchup to Layout to build less scenes for our stacked viewports isn’t always streamlined.

1 Like

I support your ideas. I’m not sure about per object style though. Would you mind checking thread I opened concerning per tag line settings in SU and let us know your thoughts here:

@jure The feature request I made before is here:

I’ll go check your thread

For me, the LO linestyle overrides on tags seem to work ONLY on elevation lines (edges seen away from the section cut), but NOT for section lines. As an Architects I really really need line-weight control.
:frowning:

P.S:
I am using a PC, windows10, fully up todate drivers.
Sketchup performance test passed.
latest SU/LO version,
I used a lightweight simple test model.

As previously mentioned section cuts cannot be overridden.

However, what I’m currently doing is to set profiles and section cuts to 2 and 3 respectively in my SU style and in LO I set the viewport line scale to, e.g. 0.25pt.

This gives me a section cut lineweight of .75pt.

I then override certain tags to be multiples of the viewport line scale to get the lineweights I want.

Problem with elevational sections is that doors and windows will be cut and have a lineweight of 0.75pt too… :exploding_head: