SketchUp 2020.2: How is line style control in LayOut working for you?

This will be a really useful addition for my workflow. However, I don’t think it’s fully functional yet.

I have a style set up with extensions in SketchUp. When I edit the tag line colour for a scene using this style in Layout, the extensions remain black, which is pretty confusing visually. The extensions ought to change colour to match the Tag colour.

Screen grabs attached for info.

2 Likes

Would it be possible for you to upload the SketchUp and LayOut files? I’m not able to reproduce the issue and I’d like to see if there’s anything unique about your models/files.

Mark, here’s what I see in LO2020.2 on Windows. This is with Extensions set to 12 in the style.

Thanks, Dave. I checked Win and Mac in all three render modes and the extensions render in the same color as the rest of the line/s.

That’s weird. I wonder why I get different results.

Windows/driver update, perhaps?

I’m digging into this.

2 Likes

FWIW, I updated Nvidia graphics drivers and rebooted the computer (which installed some Windows updates) but still see the same thing as before.

I’m having mixed results. At first the new feature seemed to work quite well. If I create a new test model in sketchup 2020.2, send it to layout, all works as it should. However, when I try and change line weights on tags within models created on much earlier versions of sketchup, sometimes the lines update appearance and sometimes they don’t. Still trying to identify some sort of pattern as to when it works or not - or even if I’m doing something wrong. I wonder if it is related to the other issue where tags in layout can be showing as visible in the sketchup model panel but the viewport on the page is not showing the tag. reseting the viewport does not always fix the problem.

This was my issue on some earlier models

Hi Mark,
I’ve sent the files to you via a direct email. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Sorry. I’ve deleted the message. I didn’t realise it would be posted to the group. The SketchUp files contain confidential information. I will try to edit them so they can be uploaded. In the meantime, I can confirm that the issue occurs in Vector and Hybrid views but not in Raster.

Corbusier Pied-à-Terre Exercise - Page A03.pdf (64.6 KB)

Hi SKU community
I’m new to SkechUp which I recently learnt to complete an exercise for an online architectural course. This upgrade for Layout is really welcome. Line weights are very important in drawings. Following FDK Ching’s advice to keep things simple, I mainly use just 3 weightings: Heavy for external walls and section cuts; Medium for internal walls, windows, stairs and doors; Light for pretty much everything else.
This upgrade not only dramatically reduces the number of viewports, scenes and layers but also allows the integrity of the outliner to be maintained. By this I mean that entities can be grouped in a logical hierarchy according to the model’s structure and not hived off into separate groups just for the purpose of achieving correct line weights in Layout.
First impressions:
I wish I had this upgrade when I started using Layout. The idea of having overlapping layers / scenes in a viewport just to achieve line style control seemed quite extraordinary. I have found this release (V20.2) far more productive and have greatly reduced much unwanted complexity, resulting in a simpler model that is far easier to maintain.

2 Likes

I love the direction things are going with LayOut. We are gaining more control over the model viewport, which is obviously a good thing. I like that we can now have different edge thicknesses based on tag, but I don’t like how it was implemented.

Since this feature was implemented inside of the same panel where tag visibility is controlled, you are forced to disconnect tag visibility from the scene assigned to the viewport. I don’t understand why it was implemented this way.

So what is the recommended workflow, assuming you want the same line style overrides applied to all the viewports?

• Insert your viewports, assign the scenes (in order to retrieve the correct tag visibility for each viewport), then manually override the line style for every single viewport one by one? That’s pretty redundant.
  • Insert a single viewport, configure the line style overrides, then copy those overrides to all the other viewports. Then manually toggle tag visibility for every viewport?
  • Abandon scenes altogether and just manually configure everything in LayOut?

Scenes are still so much more powerful than just configuring viewports in LayOut. Especially with the recently added ability to save hidden objects to scenes.

I just don’t understand why the line style overrides had to be in the same panel as tag visibility. It forces you to detach tag visibility from the scene, even if all you’re trying to do is override a style. I wish the line style overrides were placed in a separate panel. Something like this:

Not to mention, this is the first time we’re ever seeing an “override” that can only be done in LayOut, and not SketchUp. You can’t change edge thickness per tag from in SketchUp, only in LayOut.

If you’d like to hear my full opinion on this, I just published a video going into depth on the subject SketchUp 2020.2 Line Style Override in LayOut Feature Review | Change dash, color, width by tag - YouTube

10 Likes

I experienced a similar problem and had success by Updating the file reference in Document Set-up.

Totally agree with you Matt.

I’m happy to see that LO is evolving and that the SU team is focusing on workflow between the two apps, but binding the line style overrides to tag visibility overrides means a lot more fiddling, and one more set of things that (potentially) doesn’t automatically update with changes to the underlying model.

For me I want to spend as little time as possible f___ing around in LO. I would love a workflow where I can set LO attributes (e.g. line thickness / colour / scale) inside of SU and have LO display them properly, and auto-update with any model changes. (same with dims)

If this was added to the SU side — even if they leave the implementation the same on the LO side — it would (mostly) elide the need to override line attributes (thus breaking scene visibility settings), and allow the continued use of SU scene attributes to primarily drive LO presentation.

I do like the fact that recent changes reduce the number of scenes required (and often the need to stack viewports to control line weights and styles), but I would hate to see them move to a workflow where I have to spend even more time in LO than I do now.

7 Likes

Checked out your video Matt.

For me, so far I’m thinking this is a good direction for my workflow.

I’m not sure about, e.g. wanting to be able to change edge thickness in SU. I feel that I just want to model basically in SU, to not do overrides there but to apply them all in LO.

I agree that tag and dashes override should perhaps be separate.

Still early days, but two new workflow features in quick succession have played havoc with my deadlines - I’m too impatient to try them out instead of concentrating on getting work finished!

2 Likes

I agree with your suggestion of seperating Line Style overrides from Tag visibility … hopefully Adam on the LayOut team will hear you on this one!

Conceptually and aesthetically I like the idea of just one scene in SU and controlling everything I need for planning and construction documents in LO.

Of course sometimes you’ll want perspectives views which you’d create scenes for (or I guess you could turn back on double click editing of the model via the viewport to create your perspective scene :wink:)

If I’m sharing a concept design with a client I would do that in SU with scenes and get them to view with the SU viewer.

@db11 and @matt: we’re hearing you loud and clear. We have some other things in the works that should speed up tag styling (in both LayOut and SketchUp), but we’re also going to take a harder look at tag styles as a property of a scene. I still think people will end up finagling tags in LayOut (that’s what you meant, right @db11? :wink:), but I agree it would be faster to set line styles, save a scene, and then duplicate / refresh that scene to prep drawing scenes for viewports. Nice work on that video, Matt.

5 Likes

I would love to know how this new feature reduce viewport stacking?

Because for me the solid fill and line width are stopping my reduction of viewport stacking :frowning: