SketchUp 2017 Wish List

Like many, I work with SU on dual monitors.
I keep the trays and Model Info entirely out of the model space over on the second monitor, just as I did with the former system of sticky dialogs.

For the most part, I think the tray system works OK, albeit there are two issues that need to be addressed.

1. SU tends to retain focus on the trays when bringing the cursor back into the model space.
  2. Restoration of the Hide/Show Dialogs command to control tray and Model Info visibility with one hotkey.

Without those fixes, Iā€™m all for not having trays on Windows.

I wish the toolbars were collapsible with a double click the way the windows are. Mac Pro16.

Leader Text Bounding Image

I donā€™t know about anyone else but Iā€™d like to see the option to add a bounding image (box, circle, octagon, etc) to text. Especially for labels. The dynamic functionality of the label is great, and I know I can create a group and put it in my scrapbook, but I donā€™t have the dynamic function and I have to tweak it every time I need it. Iā€™m guessing this option would reside in the Shape Style or Text Style windows.

FWIW, you can add a bounding box to text but the bounding box will have square corners. No option to make a circular bounding box for text short of combing elements as I showed.

Maybe Iā€™m missing something. Iā€™d be satisfied with a square box, how do I do that?

Double click on the text of the label and turn on the Stroke in Shape Style.

Ah. I thought that box was already checked. Ugh.

For anyone else playing along, DaveR is correct. You can dbl-click the text on a lebel and select the [Stroke] button to add a bounding box to the text. It is a little limited and not quite a pretty as Iā€™d like (for some reason it makes the box longer than it should (no extra spaces after the letter below), I know, Iā€™m picky) but it does allow the dynamic feature to work - and thatā€™s awesome.

Thank you.

DaveR comes through again.

You can adjust the size of the text box to more closely fit the text. Choose Center justification and, if you want, turn off Grid and Object Snapping and adjust the size of the box.

1 Like

Yep. I like itā€¦ That works well enough for meā€¦

Still like to see the SU team add the option to add circles, octagons, and possible other shapes to the list. Itā€™d make calling out parts, doors, windows, etc a lot easier.

But for now Iā€™ll use your suggestion. It works well enough for me for now.

Cloth simulation and build-in real physics :sunny:
Cycles to Sketchup!!!

Please just make word ā€œMaterialā€ selected (Now the cursor is set on the front of word) when new material is created, becouse when you have a lot of new materials, zou need to delete word material every time. It means when you start to define new material, you can write strait away new name. I think it is not to tough to do.

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™m new to this forum and have not read everything in this thread so someone might already have wished what I want :wink:

I would like to place layers in folders.

2 Likes

There have been numerous requests for hierarchical structured layers and even one attempt at an extension to provide them (see Jiminy-billy-bobā€™s layers panel). In some cases this request reflects misunderstanding what SketchUpā€™s layers actually do and do not provide. This is a very common problem, sometimes even for people who have used SketchUp for years.

I donā€™t know your interpretation of layers and donā€™t mean to suggest that you may fall into that category, but you can search the forum for discussions of layers to find out.

It would be great if the space bar could activate the last command used, similar to AutoCAD.

BIG ONE

Compatibility with the new Touch Bar from the new Macbooks !

If i do buy one of those delicious MacBook pro, and iā€™m not able to customize the SU tools to it, it will be a massive frustrationā€¦ And iguess there are a lots of SU with user using MB Proā€¦

SO yes, definitly my request :slight_smile:
ā€” Compatibility with Apple Touch Bar

Donā€™t wait for SU 2018 !

1 Like

That would indeed be cool, but if Trimble is on their usual release schedule it is way too late to get into 2017 and despite your enthusiasm would target a pretty small market :disappointed:

I guess.

The user base is near zero now but it will grow very fast and that would be a good story for sketch up that would show They are comited to Mac users and not only multi-platform uniformisation.

My wishes for Sketchup 2017:

-A layer-window with some more options:

I was thinking about a layer-window were you can separately change the color of the lines and faces. For example, now if you are working with the option color by layer and by material, both the colors and the faces will have the same color (the color that is assigned to that layer). I think it would be better if you could choose the colors of both separately so that you can have black lines and blue faces in one layer and in the other gray lines and white faces for example.

Another option that I think that would be very useful in the layer-window, is that you could also change the visualization of the lines, I mean that you can have not only continuos lines, but also have dashed lines, point lines, thicker lines, thiner linesā€¦
In the way that you can navigate with that different types of lines in 3D, and not only in layout in 2D.

-In Layout:

It would be very helpful if the now existing shape style-window would work with the ā€œSketchup model referenceā€ without having to explode it, so that you could change the now existing options (fill, pattern, stroke, dashesā€¦) according to the layers that you have create before in the Sketchup model.

I am a Spanish guy, and my English is not as good as I would like, but I hope that you did understand what I just wrote. If not please let me know. And also please let me know what do you think about this ideas.

Greetings
Mileno.

Same with Northpoint control

Pre Trays SU was much better - TRAYS were a downgrade - in fact really disapointed with LAyout interface driving the SU interface -SU was superiorā€¦ TRAYS are incredibly inefficient of screenspace - not suprising when the MS parentage is realisedā€¦ bloody RIBBONS ā€“ please never !