SketchUp 2017 Wish List

I don’t understand is it so hard to add a LIST view for materials on MAC ???!!!

Anyway it would be great if Trimble will open up their SketchUp Roadmap?!
Say on Trello

That’s a great question. Since SketchUp on Mac uses Apple’s color picker, you should ask Apple about this.

I don’t think you’ll see that happen. Would you tell your competition what your plans for the future are?

1. I think it is not right to change OS just for SU. Every developer should adopt his app to OS
    I don’t think problem with Color picker. In Su 2016 I would rather have list vie, not updated guideline system.

2. If plans are great why not. And people will know what to expect. A lot of companies do this nowadays .

1 Like

[quote=“artpen, post:62, topic:17670, full:true”]
I don’t understand is it so hard to add a LIST view for materials on MAC
[/quote] I don’t either - but meanwhile I wrote this hack on my PC for you less fortunate MAC users…

1 Like

here’s my mac hack…

but it is a bit glitchy and I prefer the bigger swatches…

john

1 Like

Thank you TIG !!! Looks great

what?? where?? how??

@brunno, fill in your Profile so we at least know your System and SU version details…

my ‘hack’ requires Xcode.app and some knowledge of how nib files are created…

it isn’t a ‘robust’ solution as it appears only if ‘Named Colors’ active when SU closes…

there is additional code needed inside SU to create a permanent feature…

there are other posts about modifying nib files, both here and on SketchUcation…

john

Can sketchup adopt the feature of autodesk revit? Maybe like wall, door, windows, column, beam, roof, floor, ceiling, stairs, etc… So we can use it more easy to draw a project as an architect… Thanks…

Do you mean
‘can sketchup conform to revit standards so you don’t have to learn how a different program works?’

5 Likes

There are comprehensive “plugins” that basically use Sketchup as an engine and have BIM objects like windows, doors, walls, roofs, etc.
Having them as an embedded part of SU would be a mistake IMHO: very few pieces of jewelry need a staircase, and although cars may have windows, I doubt a tilt & turn would be appropriate.

1 Like

Hope they fix 2d export to dwg. sketchup does not export to dwg with layers.
unless you export to 3d dwg format and that just makes things worse, it shows every single line from sketchup making it impossible to show a clean elevation or plan due its congestion.

please fix that.

it works if you use Parallel Projection 3d Export…

john

it does but shows alot of lines in autocad. it doesnt show only whats infront

it jumbles all lines together. the issue it reveals background lines.

The “trick” I use is exporting a 2d DWG applying an style using colour by layer. That way, once in AutoCAD, you can use select by colour and quickly put everything back into its layer.

1 Like

If your hidden line view in SketchUp exports to 2D DWG as a wireframe view (with hidden lines showing), try updating your graphics card driver, or turn off Hardware Acceleration (Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL) and restart SketchUp before exporting.

Anssi

It doesn’t work like that here. Just to understand you, are you saying that if you use a hidden line style, apply parallel top view and export to 3d autocad, that file should open in autocad as a 2d drawing maintaining original layers? I just make a test and it doesn’t worked like that, I was using a cutting plane though…

I’m running sketchUp 2016 on OSX, everything up to day on a macbook pro retina late 2013. It would be fantastic if this would be possible.

I tried deactivating hardware acceleration before and it ended up
preventing sketchup to open anymore forcing me to reinstall sketchup.
Don’t know why.