SketchUp 2016 Wish list

There are two not too expensive 3D PDF plugins (by Renderplus and SimLab). 3D PDF seems to be a format that never quite caught up. Adobe dropped it after a couple of years (viewing is still supported). IMO the files produced are rather too big, often bigger than the original SketchUp model. Today the focus seems to be in web-based solutions like the viewer embedded in the 3D Warehouse or the object or space panoramas that some renderers can produce.

Anssi

2 Likes

yes, I agree, that pdf is a bit clumsy solution for presenting 3d.

Hi Jbacus

My suggestion for SKP 2016 is to have 2 or more layer tabs, so an object/component can be in different layers at the same time.

It will be a multi-dimensional layer system, so in each layer tab you can manage a diferent concept/dimensions.

Example:

Layers1: you can sort the objects by level: ground floor, first floor, second floor roof,…
Layers2: you can sort the objects by time: existing, proposed, demolition, stage 3…
Layers3: you can sort the objects by construction type: wall, window, door, slab, landscape…

So a door can be in 3 layers at the same time: ground floor, demolition, door.

That will make model and views organization much more powerfull.
I have seen that 'Classifier´ tool can do some of this, but a more generic tool will be great

If a multidimensional layer system is not possible a tagging feature (similar to Evernote tags) for the objects/components would be an improvement, as long as is linked to visibility on the escences

In summary: A MULTI DIMENSIONAL LAYER SYSTEM

Thank you very much

Ignacio

Two or more instances of a single component definition can be in different layers at the same time.
Two or more instances of a single component definition can occupy the same location.
Two or more instances of a single component definition can have different instance names.

Thanks,

what im asking is this:

ONE instance of a single component/group can be in different layers at the same time

to make this possible my suggestion is to separate layers in different ´dimensions/tabs´
So then it will be easy to manage a complex model with the minimum amount of layers

Having 5 layer per tab, with 2 tabs will be equivalent to 25 layers combinations, and 125 combinations with 3 tabs!

It will be next to the scenes and outliner window/layers1 ; window/layers 2 … and then creating the ‘add new layer dimension’ command

This will make model organization and visibility easy and powerful

Regards

Ignacio

Hi @IgnacioT

ONE instance of a single component/group can be in different layers at the same time

Nonetheless, visibility still has only two options … ON or OFF

It follows…
If just one of the many layers assigned to a single component is ON, the component is visible.
One would be forced to turn OFF all layers assigned to a single component to toggle its visibility.

I don’t understand the benefit of that.

The options are limitless when one creates multiple component instances and assigns each to a unique layer.
Then, any combination of layer/component visibility can be controlled by Scenes.

1 Like

Hi

The main purpose of the 'multi dimensional layer system’ will be to control the visibility of the elements by floor/storey and stage (existing, demolition proposed) regardless of whatever other categories you have in your model (landscape, furniture, walls…)

You can do that now by creating a prefix for any new dimension/categorie to the layers and then filtering them to manage visibility (like in AutoCad) but that creates a lot of layers and any time you add a new level or stage you need to create another full set of layers.

Having a different tabs for layers and another one for stages will make this proccess much simpler, and adding a new level to the building or stage in the project won’t be a drama

The original idea is to have 3 tabs for layers:
1-Original layer tab (as it comes with Sketchup at the moment, user can set up whatever categories), I will call this the type layers tab
2-Level/Storey Layers (basement, gorund floor, first foloor, … roof leve) This is the spatial layers tab
3-Stage Layers (existing, demolition, proposed…) This is the time layers tab

Thats the initial idea, when you turn on/off a layer on a view in a layer tab you could have the option to make the instruction override the the settings in other categories

Im thinking on a 3 dimensions/categories for the layers (type, position, and time) but it will be more powerfull and you can create as many dimension/categories as needed

Regards

• I would like to be able to add 3rd party extensions’ buttons, in the
    customized toolbars. :grinning:
  • What happened to toolbar locking? Dead? :cry:
  • You’re no longer a part of Google, but I can’t help to wonder if SU will
    create a plugin or built-in VR camera export (and viewer application)
    to work with Google Cardboard? Think of the possibilities! :open_mouth:
  • Still wanting alpha support for textures. :smiley:
2 Likes
  1. Something like railclone or paracloud gem can be amazing, have a parametric possibility for sketchup will be amazing!

2. Tool for drawing double line that include a face, for trawing wall fast.

3. Mirror tool like the plugin made by the user TIG from sketchucation

4. Lattice maker

5. New basic texture material

6. Tool for subdivide the face, for example divide a surface by triangle or hexagon…

7. Improve the light with a kind of ambient light with natural soft shadow

8. Multiple offset and extrude tool

9. Possibility to model the vertex of the object, like take up a corner of a cube

10. Copy component alongh a path

1. It’s easy to create your own textures and thus add your personal favorites to your material libraries.

2. This is already possible in SketchUp. With nothing selected but the ‘Move’ tool hover over an endpoint and move it.
    The movement can be constrained to a preselected (by holding down [Shift] ) edge (=along a line) or face (=in a plane).

1 Like

Yeah i know you can make your personal texture, my suggestion is to update the in app texture, for have a fresh interface, the texture never change from long long time.

For move the vertex my idea is something similar to the vertex tool of thomthom, or the tool to move the vertex of CAD…

My one and only wish for SU 2016 …

Please fix the clumsy Eraser tool introduced with the new tool icons in SU 2013
It was logged as a bug upon release, but never fixed.

Much of the Eraser’s circular ‘hot spot’ is misleading, nonfunctional dead space that has no effect at all.
Moreover, one quarter of the tool’s functional hot spot is obscured by the corner of the Eraser icon.

Example
The edge is clearly within the Eraser’s apparent effective circle.
No amount of clicking will ever erase it.

Example Close-up
Despite hitting the mark with the tool, a click here will reliably fail to erase the edge.

The far more accurate SU 8 Eraser
It left nothing to chance or to the imagination.

4 Likes

quick tip; the “offset” tool works on lines, not just surfaces - they don’t have to make an enclosed shape (but you do have to select more than one line)

Another tip: select the object to be mirrored and copy it*, then use the “scale” tool, select the relevant handle and type in “-1”.

• If you “copy” and “paste in place”, then the mirror will touch the face of the original object.

What would be really cool for a wish-list item would be the ability to hold [ctrl] and have it perform the scale action on a duplicate.

Another tip: you can type in “/99” or “x99” to array 99 copies of an object copied with the [ctrl] and movement: The “/” will put 99 copies between the source and copied object, and the “x” will replicate the movement 99 times.

1 Like

Normally the only time I use the eraser is to hide (holding [shift]) or soften (holding [ctrl]) - if I want to delete I just select and hit [del]
… Tip: if you hold the mouse button down and drag it over the lines; it only selects the visible lines to perform the action on, so lines behind or hidden/softened lines are not deleted/hidden/softened. (assuming they are not visible).

edit: Note that if you want to delete a face and leave the edges, then the eraser won’t work - hitting [del] is the only way to do it.

I wish layers could be locked. Having to make everything a group is a real pain because once grouped an object is absolutely isolated and can only be edited by double clicking or exploding.

This means that an exterior wall, foundation and roof (for example) all need to be individually edited if an exterior wall needs to be moved.

Being able to lock and unlock layers would add much more flexibility.

I wish the zoom would not get stuck when zoomed in close.

I wish the followme tool would not subtract the face when one is next to it.

1 Like

I would love if every file in Finder on Mac isn’t duplicated with a “~” at then end. Extremely annoying.

This is something that would included in SketchUp by default if you ask me, and not a third party plugin. And I would love if they would also bring this feature into Layout, so one could do Section cuts and fill/hatch from there. More like a drawing in SolidWorks I guess.

Follow Me Tool 2.0. Or a better/more advanced why of handling curves and rounded corners/edges. On shapes that deal with a greater complexity, than just squares and circles.

Those are SketchUp backup files. Using a “~” in the name of a backup is a UNIX convention (behind the covers, Mac OS X is UNIX).

Cool thank you slbaumgartner. But why are they needed? There are AutoSave_ files too and a AutoSave folder in Application Support as well.