Simpson's New Wood Shearwall

I can’t seem to find Simpson Strong-Tie’s new High-Strength Wood Shearwall published in the 3D Warehouse yet.

I would like to add this new product into the Wall plugin.

It appears that Simpson has some 3D models listed at their product page:

I’m not really familiar with any of these other 3D file types (.rfa, .ifc or .sat). I was wondering if anyone has the ability to convert any of these files into a SketchUp file/model or could even give me some pointers so I can do that.

Once I get the 3D model into SketchUp I will go over it carefully and fix any issues as well as minimize the polycount and then add it into the Wall plugin as well as publish my low poly (clean) models in the warehouse.

Native SketchUp Pro can import .ifc. I downloaded the file, imported to SU and got this:

Simpson ST.skp (288.5 KB)

4 Likes

For some reason I didn’t think it could import IFC yet, I guess I learn something new everyday. I had my head too buried in code I guess.

4 Likes

I contacted them a while ago about their 3D warehouse page. A man reached out to me saying

Russ Anderson
Thank you for using our content on the 3d Warehouse. It’s been a few years since we’ve loaded content there. Since then we’ve been focusing on hosting our content on our website. SketchUp is a very small percentage of our users. Please have a look at the 3d formats that are available here.

4 Likes

Sadly the IFC files are a mess, I’m basically having to remodel the 3D models otherwise the poly count is outrageous.

4 Likes

Yup, isn’t that the way? I find myself re-making stuff from scratch myself all too often just to get the best balance of realism and simplicity.

4 Likes

That’s what I had to do with LSSR210Z - Low Poly | 3D Warehouse which has more faces than I care for.

But the IFC for it has 6948 edges and 4633 faces, and it looks awful.

1 Like

Here is the WSWH24X12 (low poly count):

It is usually better that I create new clean models of this type of hardware. Usually the IFC models are fairly accurate however when they come into SketchUp they sometimes get messed up a little (dimensionally). Turn your measurement tool up to the eighth decimal place and you will see what I mean. I like my components precise, that way when I snap a line to them in my model I have exactly what I think I have, I really don’t like sloppy models with regards to dimensions, layers (tags) or extraneous materials or stray geometry.

7 Likes

There entire WSWH Strong-Wall series is now available in the warehouse:

8 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Nice job!

3 Likes

Seldom are eight decimals of resolution achieved in actual industrial production. Two decimals are good enough. Who bothers with wooden boards that are less than a hundredth off?

1 Like

I’m totally aware of typical tolerances used in both manufacturing (Aerospace) and construction. When it comes to framing 1/2 an inch is usually good enough for most framers it would seem; but we are not talking about the real world here, we are talking about the virtual world and if I snap to something that is even 0.05" off it will immediately cause me grief in my model, things won’t line up, corners won’t be square etc…

Try importing data from AutoCAD for instance and you might notice that your supposed orthogonal lines are not actually 90 degrees once you bring them into SketchUp. This can be very frustrating for anyone who is trying to create an accurate model.

My goal when I create models is to keep everything as clean and sharp as I can within the limits of the software. If my plugin creates a web in a truss and I say it is 3.5" in width then I expect it to be 3.50000000" and not 3.50425376".

3 Likes

“Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, and cut it with an ax,” I was told was an expression from the Army Corp of Engineers, and I’ve probably quoted it before.

3 Likes