Setting up animation in SketchUp

I’m working on some furniture layouts for a museum. I set up some scenes for an animation, but I’m wondering I’ve done it the most efficient way. They wanted to see various different layouts for for one room, so I had to hide and reveal things for each scene. I finally decided I had to make groups for each entire layout and reveal the one I needed for each scene. That results in many duplicate components, but it seemed like the only way.

Also, I’m wondering if Advanced Camera Tools would help here. I tried it but I’m not really sure how to make that work with animation. Right now, I get a lot of flying through walls or the roof to get to the next position, but I’d like to avoid that. I come from a Lightwave 3D background, where I could set keyframes and spline tension to control the animation, but SketchUp doesn’t seem to have any of that. Any tips on how to control the camera?

Thanks!
-Don

You can export to OBJ or FBX using the SketchUp Pro edition, which can be natively read by LightWave.

Extensions. There are Fly-Trough extensions, and Keyframe extensions. Some are free, some are commercial. Check out Smustard.com, the SketchUcation Store and Trimble Extension Warehouse.

This is usually done with separate layers for each scene. Directly hiding objects gets complicated, whereas you can easily see via the Layers Manager which layers are on and off at a glance.

Thanks Dan! I will have to check that out.

Yes, that’s what I did, but in order to do that I had to make groups, so that everything in a particular set-up could be turned on or off with a layer. If I wanted the same piece of furniture in two set-ups, I had to copy it into another group. It was complicated. At first I ended up with things not being visible when I wanted them, or showing up where I didn’t want them.

Here is the link to my animation. This web site doesn’t let me just post a link, it wants to embed the video.
https:// www.dropbox.com/s/hwpta6hiuo7v2jp/HistoryCenter-05.mp4?dl=0

Thanks,
-Don