Set Camera/View without changing any other setting?

Hi,

I want to save the 4 default viewports any 3d modelling software has: Perspective, Top, Front, Right.

I want to save a camera for each, I figure scenes is the way to do this? But every time I change between scenes my current visibility and other settings are reset to the scene’s. Is there a way to just change view/camera without having the scene change affect any other setting?

Thanks!

Uncheck all but the box for Camera Location in the Scene Properties to Save list before you create the scenes.

2 Likes

Just checking that you know there is a standard toolbar called views which has all the standard view options, and you can set up a shortcut to toggle between parallel projection and perspective.

Ah, cool. Thank you! Sad I have to reset all my views again but kinda getting used to making things a million times on SketchUp. Getting close to my mouse click limit :rofl:

Thanks, yes, I have those but no use because it uses perspective. I have set up a couple of shortcuts but not for changing view to parallel. I rather just make it all in one click with scenes and a template. Not sure who thought about having orthogonal views in perspective mode… was quite shocking coming from professional modelling software.

It’s far more professional to have both options. The Standard views can be either perspective or parallel projection. You aren’t forced to use one or the other, you get to choose.
Rather shocking I know having freedom of choice.

1 Like

I think I have never had an use for perspective orthogonal views except when exporting a render or diagram. The choice is there in every other software, but the difference is the default is parallel. A simple matter of statistics, most often than not you want to work on those views with parallel projection.

But sure, when it comes to choice SketchUp offers the most options, love extruding along a vector rather than face normal… oh wait.

I love it when people complain about software before they learn to use it.
Each to their own.
Another user to add to my ignore list.

You can’t extrude in any other direction rather than normal to face man… its not a matter of learning.

What you write isn’t actually true, though.

If you have camera set to parallel the standard views toolbar will display all of the standard views including the isometric view in parallel. If you are set to perspective then all the standard views will be displayed in perspective.

You can use scenes like this:

• Set the camera to parallel view;
  • Select the Front View;
  • Pan, and zoom to get a correct view of your model;
  • Create a scene;
  • Rename it as “Front”;
  • Select the Top View;
  • Create a scene;
  • Rename it as "Top;
  • Select the Right View;
  • Create a scene;
  • Rename it as “Right”;
  • Select the Iso View;
  • Create a scene;
  • Rename it as “Iso”.

This gives you the 4 views that you want. Of course you can add more for the left side, the back elevation and the bottom. In fact, since you can get a view that is parallel to any face that you want, you can get a view for this face. This can useful for buildings having skewed sides (octogonal, for example).