"Select Region" button doesn't go away after I click on it

So I’m trying to build out a pretty large area, and out of nowhere, when I hit the “Select Region” button, it doesn’t go away, or offer me the “Grab” and “Cancel” buttons. The other map options (like satellite/map, etc.) go away, and I can’t move the selection area. Is there a limit to how much of an area I can grab or something?

EDIT: I just tried installing older versions, and that doesn’t work, either. I wasn’t sure why it might, but I figured I’d give it a shot.

My colleague ran into this problem too. I’ve done some search and it seems to be a widespread issue that has something to do with the API changes that Google made to the Google Map/Earth server that SketchUp is trying to access.

Not sure what the fix is for now (There seems to be a workaround to edit the Sketchup.dat file and change the server address that the map function is trying to acceess) but hopefully Trimble come up with a fix soon enough. It’s a pretty useful function.

Thanks for the response! editing the .dat file is more than a little over my head. Do you have any more details on how I’d be able to do that?

What version of PC/IE or Mac/Safari do you have? Does it fit in here: Google Maps Platform FAQ  |  Google Developers ? What version of SketchUp? Is it still supported?

Mine just stopped working in the last couple of hours. Ir worked this morning. Very frustrating.

I’m using OSX 10.9, and, as far as I can tell, the most recent versions of Chrome and Safari (but I just use Chrome), and SketchUp 2015. The thing that’s weird to me is that it was working fine one minute, I quit out of SketchUp, come back to it, and then it just didn’t work anymore.

Jason, it seems like we’re having the same issue, then. At least I know it’s not just me.

1 Like

I am almost totally reliant on this working to do my work. Any more details on the DAT file edit fix?

Not that I’ve seen, no.

I just posted the exact same question and found this ! It worked when I used it last time but the exact same problem happened to me !

Well, what did you find? I use this feature everyday and this morning it no longer works. I tried all permission resetting, preference deletion, rebooting, etc. Nothing works…

Not working for me either. Definitely need this function by the end of the day in order to complete my work. It worked just fine for me this morning, but it hasn’t worked for the last few hours. Any idea if this is a server issue with Google Earth / Sketchup, or an internal program issue?

1 Like

Two more confirmations of the problem here: Geolocation no longer working? • sketchUcation • 1

(Win 8.1, SU Pro 2015 (15.3.331, 64bit))

(Edit: corrected link)

I think our only hope is shidadu talking us through this .dat workaround…

This must be server related, since we are all having the same issue at the same time and we all have different OS’s.

MacOSX 10.9.5, Sketchup Make 2015

If you have Pro, I suggest you submit a support ticket. Let’s get some noise going so this can get resolved quickly.

It looks like there’s a Maps API issue… look here for further responses…

1 Like

If you gotta have it in the next few minutes, PM me and I can give you a quick workaround. Otherwise, sit tight for a few, and we’ll get a fix - we think we found the issue.

Thanks Barry. I await with bated breath…

Fixed. Thanks. <Post must be at least 20 characters>

Thank you, Barry. We’re back in business!