Security and ownership of drawings done on SketchUp Make

I don’t know if anyone in the community can help me with my questions or not. My problem is with the free version of sketchup make and the down load is:

1. do you know what you are agreeing to in order to use it?
  2. why can I not get answers to questions I have on the contract?
  3. does anyone know who owns the rights to your drawings?
  4. does Sketchup have access or the rights to my drawings?
  5. how much control of my computer am I giving sketchup?
  6. when using the warehouse and submitted drawing are they safe?
    I would ask Trimble these questions but they don’t have any support that I could find for the free version of Sketchup. Today we have just gotten so accustomed to agreeing with terms without knowing what they really mean. So if anyone can help please do. But the answers that would really count would have to come from Trimble them selves. I appreciate your time and would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Thank you

Since I am not a lawyer, and definitely not a Trimble lawyer, and very definitely not YOUR lawyer, I can only offer some links and opinions.

Here’s the EULA for make: https://www.sketchup.com/license/b/sketchup-make
If you upload something to the warehouse, your content is now covered by the 3DWH terms of service: Terms of Use | 3D Warehouse

You pretty much have to hire a lawyer to answer any questions you have about your particular use case. This seems to be the American way, for better or for worse.

Trimble Connect is designed to give users more control over file ownership and access, if you have particular concerns about security and ownership you may want to investigate that instead of the 3DWH.

Marc

[quote=“CF58, post:1, topic:27896”]

1. do you know what you are agreeing to in order to use it?[/quote]
    You do if you have read the terms of use - which you must agree with when you first start the program.

2) why can I not get answers to questions I have on the contract? [/quote]
Because Sketchup Make is free - and Trimble chooses to not offer support unless you’re a paying customer - well within their rights.

3) does anyone know who owns the rights to your drawings?[/quote]
You retain the rights to your drawings. I am, of course, assuming you are NOT being paid for your work — in which case: A) You have violated the Sketchup Make terms of use because B) you should be using Sketchup Pro and the arrangements you make with your customer determine who has the rights to your models.

4) does Sketchup have access or the rights to my drawings?[/quote]
Access? No. Unless you give them access by uploading to the 3DWarehouse - at which point the rights are determined by the 3D Warehouse terms of use.

5) how much control of my computer am I giving sketchup?[/quote]
As much control as any other application you install.

6) when using the warehouse and submitted drawing are they safe?[/quote]
I can’t give an answer here because I have no clue what you mean by “safe”.

Of all the terms of use that I’ve bothered to read, SketchUp’s terms are by far the clearest for a program - especially a free program - of this complexity.

Most of your answers can be found if you take the time to read the terms of use (linked to my answer of your first question). Beyond that, if you have more focused questions, I suggest asking them individually.

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer, but I do consider myself a reasonable person. These answers come from my reasonable interpretation after reading of the terms of use and many conversations I’ve read in this forum. They are not legal advice, nor should they be used for any legal purpose. That’s what lawyers are for.

2 Likes

Ask five lawyers and expect six answers…

You do seem overly concerned about your intellectual property and contractual conditions, considering you are using someone else’s ‘free’ hobbyist version of this software.

The previous replies should offer you some valuable guidance/insights…
Just enjoy using it, and stop fretting about things that are either beyond your control or extremely unlike to bother you in the real world…

3 Likes