Screw, Bolt & Nut library resource?

Hello,

I am wondering how do you get screw and fitting ? Any good recommended resource ?

From this image, I mostly use below 3 types

1. Self-tapping screw (for fixing furniture parts)
  2. Machine screw with bolt (for metal part assembly)
  3. Hexagon bolt and nut (for fixing very tight parts)
    If I can find SKP component library that cover these 3 types, it is already cover more 80% of my use

My current workflow is using EP Fastener Extension. It works fine for many year.
Only limitation is it not cover all screw type I need to use.

I mainly need this component to demonstrate assembly instruction like my work below.

Thank you very much for all recommendation.

McMaster-Carr has various 3D and 2D files of their fasteners. Never used them but have heard others mention them as a source.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing @tuna1957. It is very useful website.
Only difficulty is it only provide 3D file in STEP, SAT or IGES. So we may need another software to open and export file for using in SKP.

But it really good website to learn from.

There is a plugin, Universal Importer by Samuel Tallet that imports something like fifty different file types… might check that out. I doubt any hardware supply companies are going to have .skp format downloads.

2 Likes

Thank you for introducing. I have tried but there is no import menu. It only provide reduce polygon count.
Maybe we still need other software to convert 3D file.

1 Like

I import geometry from McMaster-Carr all the time, it’s a great resource, I also buy a lot of hardware from them as well. I download the STEP file and then import into SketchUp using the Simlab STEP importer (paid extension). Or scrub the STEP through CST CAD Navigator to convert to .dwg and then import .dwg.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thank you again @mihai.s for this tip. It work !

Even better if I import by using Trunsmutr. Then we can have precise scale to use.
Also have low poly for this screw to keep scene lighter.

2 Likes

Thank you, I just check Simlab Importer. It looks good too. :slight_smile:

Thank you. Now I find import with Universal Importer but it does not work. ?
Maybe let me ask @SamuelTS what is Failed to load DXF ?

Anyway I still can use Any Converter website.

I could never get Universal Importer to handle STEP files. The SimLab importer is expensive in comparison to many extensions, but it works.

1 Like

FreeCad is the method I use to convert STEP files. As the name implies it is FREE.

2 Likes

Seems we now discuss how to import CAD file to SKP. It is very helpful as well.
Shall I invite you to discuss **“screw, bolt and nut library” again as it is intention for this topic ?

So far we only know mcmaster website. Is there any other good resources ? or how you manage to get these fitting components ?

Another large supplier with various downloadable files….

3 Likes

And another one….

3 Likes

When usefull, feel free to use these simple 1:1 scaled ‘bold & screwed’ :wink:
M12/M16: bolts, nuts, washers, 3d washers.
M06/M08: allen bolts(?), washers, 3d washers.
M06: screw, rubber ring.

3 Likes

Hello there :wink:

This error (DXF: no data blocks loaded) comes from Assimp (which is the program used internally by Universal Importer to convert models). It seems to be fixed in Assimp v5.2.0.

The current version of Universal Importer (v1.1.9) uses Assimp v5.1.6. Once I recompile and upgrade Assimp in Universal Importer, the compatibility with STEP files (among others) will be better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @SamuelTS Thank you for answering here. Understand now why it does not work. Also thanks for this exrension :slight_smile:

1 Like