Screw, Bolt & Nut library resource?

But how can we import a ‘STEP’ file converted to ‘stl’ import right at scale into SU?

By setting Stl Units in Options

wdi-04

1 Like

After a quick search I found this:

Free universal importer plugin for SketchUp

Import 3D models in SketchUp. 50+ formats are supported. Reduce polygon count on the fly.

Supported formats

• 3D
  • 3DS
  • 3MF
  • AC
  • AC3D
  • ACC
  • AMJ
  • ASE
  • ASK
  • B3D
  • BLEND
  • BVH
  • CMS
  • COB
  • DAE/Collada
  • DXF
  • ENFF
  • FBX
  • glTF 1.0 + GLB
  • glTF 2.0
  • HMB
  • IFC-STEP
  • IRR / IRRMESH
  • LWO
  • LWS
  • LXO
  • M3D
  • MD2
  • MD3
  • MD5
  • MDC
  • MDL
  • MESH / MESH.XML
  • MOT
  • MS3D
  • NDO
  • NFF
  • OBJ
  • OFF
  • OGEX
  • PLY
  • PMX
  • PRJ
  • Q3O
  • Q3S
  • RAW
  • SCN
  • SIB
  • SMD
  • STP
  • STL
  • TER
  • UC
  • VTA
  • X
  • X3D
  • XGL
  • ZGL

After installing the plugin, open the File menu. The last choice shall be Import with Universal Importer.

Except if you read the whole thread, universal importer does not currently work.

I did download the following file McMaster-Carr from mcmaster, if I understand it right they used Inches. I never guessed that I should use Feet. I did try all of them except feet. Thanks to bring me back to the configure button ( macOS ) and try the feet unit. However it is still a few mm off.
I did convert it with Convert files from and to STEP format online - AnyConv

So if I am right an STL file has no units.

Is there any other file type that can be read by sketchup but converted from 3D-step?

That is correct. The coordinate information in an STL file is unitless. During the import or other post-processing step of consuming an STL file, hopefully the software being used offers a feature to allow the user to establish and/or change the scale.

What are you doing to make the eye bolt look smooth in the 2nd photo without all the lines?
I ran through the same process but am having issues with AnyConv making faces and tried it with the same eyebolt but can only get SketchUp to show as the first photo like yours with the lines.
I’ve cycled through all the Face styles but can’t get it to look like that.

Soften and Smooth the edges

Basics of SketchUp at https://learn.sketchup.com/

I specially left the 2D figure of Niraj to show the scale at which I imported the stl file to avoid missing faces that are too small.