Scene Management, brainstorm adding an object default hidden?

Ok Sketchup braintrust… I have been stewing on this one for a while as it often comes up for me. I’m trying to think up a trick for it but so far no dice.
Let’s say I have 20 scenes all hiding and unhiding 10 separate components in the view, in different combinations. Now, I want to add an 11th object to be seen only in scene 1. If I simply model my new object in position, I will have to actively hide it and update it in every scene 2-20. I usually control visibility with layers, but the problem remains if I make a new layer for the new object, it is by default made visible in every scene. What I really want is a way to add a layer, then ask for that layer to be invisible by default in every scene, then I would only “show” in a given scene , and update that 1 scene.

My current workaround has been to make 10 unused empty layers at the start of a new model, turn their visibility off and leave them alone so that these extra layers get recorded into all scenes in the “off” position, then in a pinch I can grab one and model into it for a default off layer. But once I’ve used up the extra layers I’m out of luck, and often I need more than I anticipated.

Any ideas on a more elegant solution… Thanks.

There is actually feature for this, but it is not yet exposed in the native GUI.

See the ruby method here: Layer.page_behavior=

(There might already be a plugin out there that adds some choices to the menus for settings page behaviors for layers.)

There’s a plugin to add a layer that can be hidden on all scenes except the current one. Not on my computer, but it’s some thing like Add Layer from SketchUcation.

1 Like

Ah ha! yes it is one of Jim’s:

https://sketchucation.com/plugin/832-jf_add_layer

2 Likes

Big thanks to Dan the Man and @john_mcclenahan, add layer absolutely does the trick.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.