Scaling problem

no lol I dont see it

how do I send to you, I really don’t see it

Click this if it isn’t moving.

1 Like

yeah thats not an option for me is it because I’m not a full member of the sketchup community?

can I please Email it, I can’t send a private message because I am a “new user” plus wouldn’t the file be too big to add as an attachment if it is too big to attach here? I worked so hard on this model :disappointed_relieved: The model is 17.5 MB

There are various options that work. Google drive, Dropbox, even 3dwarehouse. You need to help us to help you.

Can’t you sent through ‘Dropbox’ or equivalent and add a link here in your post?

And it is a single chess piece! How did you manage to do that? Have you purged the model (Window men>Model Info>Statistics>Purge)?

Anssi

I just purged it and it didn’t change anything. I also posted it in the 3d warehouse. The key words are knight, knight head, chess, kelandrin. Or just look under Matthew L. turns out it was 16.3 MB not 17.5 MB though :grin:

Off a glance, a few suggestions:
You didn’t need to use bubble skin in some spots, especially where it was a smooth curve or almost flat. where you would 100+ faces, it would have been done with much less.
You could have also modelled half of the knight, make it a component, mirror it for the other half, save you time and size.
and like @Wo3Dan said, check printer. if it’s a low end pla printer, it probably won’t get all those details you added.

1 Like

try the extension: CleanUp

I did but it froze, and for me it was easier to model the whole thing instead of half. I thought of that. How do you make a surface out of a smooth curve though. That was my problem and I am attaching pictures of the real thing in case you are curious. It’s in the more info in the 3d warehouse. The url is knight pics - Google Docs

edit: I just tried again and it worked but only reduced a little bit. It is about 1 MB smaller than it was

It may not be frozen, just running its script. I tried on my computer, on the bottom left i could see its progress (really slow so i gave up on it and force quit sketchup). You can also clean up part by part to avoid that long wait.
For less face, in bubble skin you have the option of how many divisions, so you can choose less for less faces.

kelandrin:
Just stared to look at model but before proceeding have couple of questions:
Are you set up to print yourself or do you plan to use a commercial printer like shapeways etc?. The model does not to appear to have wall thickness control so it will print as solid = big $ for commercial guys. To include wall thickness , usually about 3mm required, will probably require relief hole in the bottoms of the items. Is the surface showing in the knight head you posted acceptable or do you plan to try and make smoother?
There are a number of issues with that model. What is the time frame you are working to?
To correct model will take some major effort and I question if SU is the app to do that: For example I see 4664 null faces, 91563 duplicate faces, 23663 vertices to merge. Unfortunately the corrections are sequence dependent , results you get depends on the sequence you apply them. If the rest of the models have the same issues it will take some effort.

I have printers at school. They are flashforce, printrbot, and fusematic. We use makerbot desktop to do the filling in and such that you mentioned. I also don’t know how to smooth the edges of say the head. They are supposed to be rounded, do you have any suggestions on fixing that. Also, what are null faces, and vertices to merge. The rest of the models were easier because I used revolved surface. The knight was the only really difficult one.

I cleaned up the 10’s of 1000’s of stray geometry floating in space and purged … it’s still 13+MB

Is it possible the total length of all edges affects file size?
One tiny edge of the horse’s snout is >17km

@kelandrin
I’m certain you learned a lot with this effort. It’s best to leave it at that and start over.
There’s little hope of fixing this and even if you could it would surely take far longer than modeling it again.
Take what you’ve learned and apply it to the next.

You certainly don’t need a bunch of plugins to model the piece.
All you really need is to learn how to use SketchUp’s native tools to their full potential.
With that, your imagination and a few tips from an expert organic modeler, you can do it!

Here’s a good place to start.
Tweaking Tool Tips — SketchUp Sage Site

2 Likes

Nice model, and very interesting!
How to explain this…
First of all, there is a lot of small groups and geometry near Origin, that wasn’t scaled up (100million times :slight_smile: )with your model.
These things must of-course be deleted. (they will just scale down as you select all and scale)
BUT! * As the geometry somehow are related between some of the small groups and the BIG groups you have a problem deleting the small ones right away, without messing up the big model. And maybe related to this is?: -as you maybe have noticed, it is impossible to select for example an eye by itself.
Made some Scenes:

You may try to clean up via outliner, but be aware of the above mention problem. *
Some explosions and other tricks may be needed

Good luck!
*Example: When I deleted some of the smaller groups/geometry or renamed groups some problems appeared an eyes or ears disappeared even if they weren’t shown to be part of that group. Hope I managed to communicate at least some of it OK :confused:

Thank you everyone for all of the support. I really really don’t want to start over. Like I mentioned before… this took about a month. I also don’t know how to make curved faces without soap and bubble or follow me. So I would end up making the same mistakes… minus the scaling one. I would rather fix the one I have

All I can say about this model is that you created the perfect troyan horse for us.

No, that’s not all. Here are some tips that may help in not spending another month modeling a “dead end” horse.

• ask questions as you go, not only after a month. You do not need plugins to model this object.
  • learn the ‘Outliner’ under menu Window > Outliner. It lets you select separate groups and components in your model. The selection window doesn’t seem to work too well (fo me not at all) to select and thereby split up your model in separate grouped objects.
  • open several instances of SketchUp side by side and use the outliner to select > then copy or cut > then ‘Paste in Place’ each separately selected group into one of the opened SketchUp instances. This makes it posssible to work on chunks of geometry. Explode chunks (separated groups) into basic geometry > then scale down till reasonable size (see* below), say 1mm would be 1m, so 1000x the actual size.
  • assemble the corrected chunks of basic geometry (that you would better group again per SketchUp instance) into one single horse. The result can then be exploded and grouped as one single ‘Solid’ group. scale this one down 0.001x to actual size to make it a printable object.
    (ThomThom’s ‘Solid inspector’ plugin may help you in finding gabs and mistakes in the ultimate but maybe not yet solid group)

These steps would need quite some effort but to me it seems less than redoing the model from scratch and less than another month. Maybe a rainy afternoon and quite some patience.

(*) About the size of your troyan horse: only the size of the horse’s mayor top face is three times the size of the country I live in. So the horse doesn’t even fit in here without us shifting to some other country.

3 Likes

Hi Kelandrin,
Such a nice peace!
And it’s obvious the big effort you put into it. And your father made it…

I tried to work a bit on your “Troyan Horse”
Now you should be able to scale and work with it again. (A few faces got lost though.And changed some groups. Anyway)
Uploaded on the Warehouse under Kelatin, Knight, “Knight-done-smaller-try” Hope OK with you.

And there is really a long way to go before it’s a printable, solid object!
There are so much excess geometry and more as they all point out above, (it’s still 12,2 MB, but workable),
and do spend the time to learn the basic tools as they also say.
They certainly know what they are talking about.

Well. You did this-, go for it. :smile:
Cheers

Need seriously to make dinner now!!