Saving Model Drawings

I just downloaded Sketchup Make. I tried saving the drawing but it keeps telling me its a read only volume and to save as another volume. I’m not really sure what that means. I spent 5 hours on a drawing and it never saved and i lost it. Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Roger

It sounds as if you were trying to direct SketchUp to save the file in a location that is write protected. Try saving to Documents

Dave that worked!! Thank you so much

You’re quite welcome.

It’s unfortunate that you waited so long before trying to save the file. It would be wise to save the file at least once very early on in the process so it has a unique name. Then the autosave process will create a backup file for you in the same location. If the selected save location was write protected, Autosave wouldn’t have been able to do its job either.

Yes you’re absolutely right. Won’t make that mistake again. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

By default, SU will save (and autosave) files to your Documents folder. So if you haven’t saved it early on to a different place with a unique filename…as Dave suggests…and especially if SU crashes…you might then find that you’ve got a file called AutoSave_Untitled.skp in your Documents folder. It might be worth taking a look to see if your 5 hours work is there.
I’ve got a Doc folder full of the things. :wink:

on a mac an ‘AutoSave_Untitled.skp’ is created in the hidden User/Library folder…

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp/Autosave

john

1 Like

Thanks for the info Alan. I’ll check when I get to the office. That’s good to know.