I’m a brand new Sketchup user (I actually used and enjoyed “Google” Sketchup 10-12 yrs ago for different purposes) and I’m looking for the best rendering solution meeting my needs.
I’ve searched the forum for similar discussion and found very interesting suggestions, but still my needs are specifically focused so perhaps I can still find more suggestions from long time render engines users.
I’m a graphic artist interested in rendering urban and rural scenes, I’ve downloaded most of the rendering engines trials I could find and I’m right now giving them a try, but still I would really appreciate some of your expertise, knowledge and suggestions, perhaps I’ve missed something!
These are the key requirements I’ve identified:
- quick integration with Sketchup and minimal scene setup (>> no need to tweak a lot of things before launching the render process, automatic material “read” from SKUP would be great)
- comprehensive builtin material list
- good looking light/shading output
- good looking vegetation and terrain output
- proxy objects option
- decent price (if I really love it, I could reach about the same of a SKUP pro classic license)
Optional, but I would really enjoy:
- builtin plants, people, cars library
- non-realistic render modes (i.e. “painted”, “toon” etc.)
- non-subscription pricing plan
Not really necessary:
- state of the art ulra realistic render
- ultra fast rendering times
- movies/animations, real-time interections
I’d be basically creating many different shots I would later post-process in 2D, that’s why my focus is on ease-speed of use (can’t spend hours tweaking for a single amazing render since I’d be making many-a-day), rich and fast detail/environment/setting additions would also help a lot.
I’ve identified LumenRT as an interesting candidate, due to the fact you can “paint” nature, add people and cars, and particularly because it integrates nicely with SKUP materials (it reads and convert most of them directly from the SKUP materials applied to the model), so apparently you have a 1-click good looking result.
But it seems its price is now skyrocket high, and the less expensive “studio” version perhaps is not available anymore?
My current alternative path would be another renderer with the features listed above and Skatter (to add vegetation).
Thank you for any input and consideration you may add.