Renaming scene tabs

How about making the scene tabs easier to rename by adding “Rename” to the context menu. That would save a step from having to open and renaming with the Scene Manager.

1 Like

We already have that option on macs, but I’ll trade it to you for the option to list all the textures by name. And 3rd pick on 2016’s new features :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So I see the option to select “rename scene”, but when I do, nothing happens. I would have expected the scene name to get selected and be editable, but it doesn’t seem to be. Am I missing something obvious?

1 Like

Are you right-clicking on the scene tab or from the scene window? It also matters if you’re on a mac or pc.
On my mac, if I right-click the scene tab to rename, the text get highlighted and I can rename it. Or if I’m using the Scene window, and expand it, I can rename it there.

For PC, I don’t know, sorry.

1 Like

I meant the ability to rename the tabs without having to open the Scene Manager. Sorry if I wasn’t being clear.

Kind of Like this…

Or maybe to right click the tab and it becomes instantly editable.

Just a mac thing I guess.

1 Like

Lol. Wow. Why isn’t that available in the Win version?

Dunno, same reason as to why on mac I can’t view all the materials in a text list format, bothersome for when I want to know a bunch of material names.

1 Like

Maybe in the near future we’ll be able to do the exact same things in SketchUp not depending on what platform we’re on. One can only hope. Thanks for your help and comments.

@ drwave correctly wrote this. “So I see the option to select “rename scene”, but when I do, nothing happens. I would have expected the scene name to get selected and be editable, but it doesn’t seem to be. Am I missing something obvious?”

I too am having the same problem, even 6 ys later: On Windows (phew), right-clicking the scene tab like you guys suggest yields NO “rename” option at all, and right-clicking a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e and a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g in the default tray under scenes DOES give the option to rename but n-o-t-h-i-n-g ever happens nor gets highlighted.

I too really do not see any chance at all to rename the scene.
Wondering therefore: Could it be that SU technically prevents renaming (despite the context menu option!?) when the author who uploaded the file to the WH (maybe) “locked” that feature in a way?

No other explanation that I could think of, sorry.

1 Like

David, did you figure this out? I just did, and it works slick as…whatever. Right-click on a scene tab, and select Scenes… A Scenes section will pop up in the Default Tray (click Window | Default Tray | Show Tray) if it is not visible. At the bottom of the Scenes section, below the list of scenes, a dialog box will allow you to modify a scene name and its description, as well as the properties that should be saved as part of the scene. It’s very easy to bop back and forth between adding scenes and that dialog box.

Note that I’m running Sketchup Pro 2018 at the moment.

The context menu entry of “rename scene” by right clicking on the scene tab were, I believe, added/fixed in the 2019 release of SketchUp. So if you are using a pre 2019 version of SketchUp, chances are you won’t have that option on Windows at least.

1 Like

I figured this out not too long ago by using the method you mentioned. I suspect the developers must’ve enabled this sometime between now and the time I made the original request in the forum. Quite an improvement indeed. Thank you Brian
for following up on this nonetheless!

If you keep the Default tray available and the Scenes panel in it, there’s no need to right click on the scene tab. Just go directly to the Scenes panel and change the name as desired. It’s worked that way since scenes were called Pages.

BTW, please complete your profile with SketchUp version, operating system and graphics card.

I tested this in 2016 and 2020. In 2016 you can pick Scenes from that menu, but it’s no different from expanding the Scenes tray. With 2020 you can immediately rename the scene, without needing the Scenes tray.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve used the Scene panel method in the past, but personally I find right-clicking and renaming scene tabs speedier with my workflow.