Remove material from grouped objects

Hi, Does anyone know how to remove material from grouped object/s?. The situation is like this. There are bunch of group objects. Some objects have default material and some have material applied. Then all of the grouped objects are grouped into one big group.

Accidently, you applied a red material to this one big group and all those group of objects that have default material within this one big group will get the red material. The problem is, whatever face your created within the one big group will get the red material.

Do anyone knows how to remove the red material applied on group that have default material? Using remove material plugin from inside the group doesn’t work at all. If the remove material plugin applied on the group, all the materials will back to default. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

There are various material tools available, but in its most basic form you can simply find the relevant group and remove the accidental material using Entity Info.

2 Likes

Old topic, but I will resurrect. Would love to know if a plugin exists for this. Currently rendering in v-ray and I tried using Entity Info with no luck… ended up using Materials Tools and repainting / positioning everything.

Not certain of what you need, but the rather old plugin from Matt666 removes group or component materials.

1 Like

If the materials applied to the groups/components are what you want on the faces, use Instance Material to Faces. Then you only need to reposition those that aren’t correctly done.

Thanks Dave, I just need to strip the materials from the containers. Getting some weird results and have to go through piece by piece (model handled by 3 different parties now :exploding_head:)

Which is what the plugin I gave you a link to does.

1 Like

So either the plugin Box gave you or what about selecting the objects and painting them with the default material?

I dislike that sort of thing, too.

Yes, but I can only reply so fast! Replied to Dave waiting in the car, will test it out when I get back into it on Monday. Thank you.