Rectangle tool not producing Rectangles?

There is no tilde, it’s a minus sign (as @MikeWayzovski already mentioned) which is correct for both vertices in the front, (-600.000000").
You dragged the cursor in the negative green direction, starting at the origin. Then typed 600 to create a rectangle this size in given direction, hence the endpoint’s result (green = -600.000000")

This isn’t a good example, the rectangle is a rectangle.

Let me reinforce that I never said the rectangle tool is defective. For me it has always drawn perfect rectangles. The glitch occurs when there is a pre-existing inaccurate endpoint vertex located very near where the rectangle wants to put a corner. The rectangle draws correctly, and then the cleanup sucks that corner over to the old vertex. This all happens in one GUI step and the change is miniscule; you can’t watch it jump.

2 Likes

MikeW, Wo3Dan thanks for the correction. It darn sure looks like a tilde on my non retina Mac screen…. to my worn out eyeballs anyway. The dimensions are TINY on my screen. So bad example I chose to post. That said I do seem to run into strange behavior at times with dimensions as alluded to by gsharp .

You can if you enable length snapping, here I have set it to 10 (mm) and the second rectangle should be square, but it jumps a little back:
rect

The first draws a rectangle, but not the ‘golden section’ ratio, though.
the cube was also drawn with lengt snapping, no inaccuracies in those vertices:

rectangle.skp (343,4 KB)

rectangle is square, btw

I’m not convinced by your example. It is different from what @dezmo initially mentioned as buggy behaviour in the ‘Rectangle’ tool. You are right that an existing endpoint sucks in a new nearby endpoint whether it be one created by a ‘Rectangle’ tool, a ‘Line’ tool or most likely by any other tool. The existing endpoint appears to get priority over ‘Constrained to…’ line, axis, guide, face etc. The existing endpoint acts like a black hole for any new nearby endpoints.

Now this tolerance limitation: creating an endpoint near an existing edge by any tool sucks up (=breaks) the edge into two segments when the new endpoint is within SketchUp’s tolerance towards the edge. So here the new endpoint gets priority. Why do I mention this? In case of…

In case of @dezmo’s example the rectangle wasn’t “asked” to create a new endpoint near an existing endpoint, nor near an existting edge. It was supposed to create that last corner in rectangle’s plane far away from both. The code should give priority to staying on plane of the rectangle. There is no need at all to give priority to anything else.

In both aforementioned cases (nearby endpoint and nearby edge) SketchUp deals with just not being able to deal with them, an ultimate tolerance matter.
With the ‘Rectangle’ tool the result should be a rectangle, no need to suck in the fourth corner out of plane. The code should handle this. Not even presenting the dashed line as a warning.

q.3

Hallelujah. I notice very often that SU can’t make mistakes with the so many fighting arguments from their user base, but this proofs again that there are basic bugs walking around.

Also, too many times there are rounding/precision errors, and telling that thats because of the unit calculation is rubbish.

If some one use mm calculate in mm, if someone is using m use m, if someone is using Inches use Inches and do not use a conversion.

FIX IT Trimble.

There is hardly anything to fix. You should try to better understand what is actually going on here. In fact with the ‘Rectangle’ tool this is a minor bug that even gives you a warning prior to clicking the last corner.
It’s either leaving it this way (no face, you ignored the warning) or (in future) the code overrules the noticed inferenced endpoint and stays in plane of the rectangle, thus creating a rectangle and a face with the final click.

Internally SketchUp uses inches. That is how it was/is programmed.
What you (the user) use(s) does not affect how accurate you create your geometry.
It’s the pilot that does.

Is it?

Well, it is a rectangle, but not square in the uploaded file, but I might have ‘hold Shift’…
because that’s what my muscle memory dictates me to do whenever I get a rectangle with four black colored edges, you know something’s wrong.
Even when trying to constrain to a ‘Square’ or ‘Golden section’, the resulting rectangle isn’t, so it does not what it says.