Recreate walls in model

Assessment 4 Current.skp (3.5 MB)
Hi Everyone,
What is the easiest way to recreate these 2 missing walls? I’m not having much luck :frowning:

1 Like

First thing I would do is fix the incorrect tag usage. ALL edges and faces should be created and remain untagged. Only groups and components should get tagged. You can see that the Tag field is blank in Entity Info when all the geometry for the walls is selected. This indicates you have put different tags on different edges and faces.

The result of fixing the incorrect tag usage.
Screenshot - 11_30_2021 , 10_04_42 PM

Then use the Line tool to draw in the missing edges to heal the faces.

Make sure you correct any reversed faces. There should be no exposed blue back faces.

It would also be a good idea to purge unused stuff from your model. In this case that reduced the file size by about 24%.
Screenshot - 11_30_2021 , 10_11_48 PM

Assessment 4 Current purged.skp (2.7 MB)

1 Like

Thanks so much Dave. What’s the best way to go about fixing the incorrect tag usage?

I used a plugin from Sketchucation called Default Layer Geometry. Best thing is to stay on top of it as you model and not allow geometry to be tagged in the first place. That often means you have to fix entourage you get from the 3D Warehouse and you need to practice keeping your models clean.

Will that plug in help me fix the tagging?

Or should i just delete all the walls & create new ones?

And if you tend to explode groups or components (usually open for edit is a better way), be aware that SketchUp will assign any tag that was on the group or component to its former contents, requiring you to untag them.

Do I need to start again from scratch? :frowning:

You can download the repaired version @DaveR generously provided.

Yes. That’s what I used.

Might be easier.

As Steve wrote, you could download the version I shared. Keep in mind, though, it’s sometimes the path of least resistance to start over correctly than to try to repair problems.

1 Like

Oh i just found the repaired version. Your a legend Dave. Thankyou so much!

1 Like

EmmaO as you get better at Sketchup you will learn all of the ins and outs, the question is, is it a one time project and will you continue to use Sketchup for work? If not redraw on the default tag.

My tip is to create your floor make it a group. Create your walls make them a group, create your roof make them a group. Then create all of your tags and then associate the groups with the correct tags.

When it comes to adding Windows and doors I would drill inside the wall group (triple click) edit the geometry or add your components, which should also be on a tag if you intend to isolate them down the track.

Essentially you are nesting items, when you turn your wall group off it will turn your windows and doors off.
Like Dave says if you are using content from the warehouse you will need to adjust the tag in entity info.

My tip is to find the tag associated with the 3dwh import. Right-click the tag and select delete. This will prompt you to either delete the content on that tag or reassign the geometry to another tag. See image below:

This will enable you to minimise unwanted tags, however, you could also just reassign the geometry and purge tags later. I like to stay organised so deleting & reassign works for me.

I build plugins to organise models for builders as they are too busy to learn properly and all they really want is to do is draw and estimate.