Recovering a corrupted layout file

I really need some help…my layout file got corrupted and I can seem to open it. I have a tough deadline to beat…am really frustrated :pensive:

Share the file

HI.
I have a Layout file that I cannot open. There are no error messages, the file simply does not open. I have it on Trimble Connect and am able to use the previous version but have significant changes from a colleague between versions. Is there a way to recover this version?

The file is 101 MB, how do I share?

Try downloading it to your computer and then open it. Does that work? If not upload it to Dropbox and share the link.

Thanks.

Here’s the link:

It opened for me. Lots of excess stuff in the file. When it opened the References list was displayed.

After purging unused stuff…

Had a look at the Rassmussen Current SketchUp file. Fixed a little bit of incorrect tagging and purged some unused stuff from there. Waiting for the LO file to update.

Ok, this is promising.
Thank you.

How long are you waiting for it to open?

I think the first time I tried to open it, I was doing other things and forgot. It was probably more than 10 minutes before I realized that the file was still not open.

Hmmm… Try this just for grins. Download the file from Drop Box to your primary drive and try opening it. Give it a few minutes.

I see you’ve inserted some PDF files which don’t carry over onto my computer. I can upload the revised version of the file for you but you’ll need to relink those PDFs.

Where are you keeping the references for your project?

Still nothing on the downloaded file…

All references are saved within an adjacent folder for the project, but I am sharing the file with someone who may not be matching my workflow.

Try this one. Will it open?

This is also not opening.

Meanwhile, my colleague was able to open the file and resave it. I’ll try that version in a couple of minutes, but this means that the problem may be on my end. I have a brand new MacBook Pro M1. I don’t know why that would matter, but maybe?

What version of SketchUp/LayOut are you using? Please complete your forum profile.

Since I could open it and your colleague could do the same, it’s likely a hardware issue on your end.

I’m using Layout 2021 and she is using the latest version, but that hasn’t been a problem yet?

You should at least install LO2022 and see if there’s any difference especially related to M1 support.

arggh, I was purposely avoiding that because I think that 2021 was the last version that doesn’t require a subscription.

Is it too late to go back to your old computer?

:pleading_face:
I still have it, but I’m currently traveling and it is not with me. Also it’s seven years old. Looks like I’m switching to the subscription version.

BTW, thank you so much for you time and expertise, I really appreciate it.

1 Like