Radius Corners on a 2D image

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

I got this taken care of tonight. I was able to blow this up by a factor of 100 and then I was able to radius all the corners and make my drawing work.

I so appreciate everyone sharing their experience and knowledge with me.

Wo!

Please tell me your key strokes on how you copied the same arc for the 3 last corners like that? That’s awesome workflow. How did you do that? Is this what they are calling the “magenta double click”?

When you get the Magenta inference on the curve, double click.
Then double click near any corner and it will repeat.

OK, thanks. And the pencil, which arc tool is that ?

Two-point arc. New behavior in SU 2015.

Sweet, thanks. I have SU pro 2015, so I just have to grab it.

I’ve noticed that the repeat-by-double-click feature of the 2 point arc is erratic. Sometimes it will work fine, and sometimes it will put a “Rejecting zero length segment” message in the status bar and do nothing. If anyone knows what provokes this message, I’d love to hear the explanation. My guess is a tiny movement of the cursor during the double-click, but I haven’t been able to prove it.

Never had a problem with it myself.

Yes, I realized that. But I also thought some people may divide items by the number of degrees in a circle. So my gut tells me keeping numbers divisible by 6 is helpful for that as well. But my logic may have a hole somewhere there, much like my models. :slight_smile:

True, 360 does divide by 6, but then again it also divides by 4.
Multiples of four are generally the best option so that the cardinal points are easier to use.
Plus it make the dimensions uniform on the axes. You are measuring point to point rather than flat to flat. It’s not always important but it’s a nice habit to get into.

1 Like

I tend to use 12 segment circles for general modeling.
An interesting facet of 12-segment circles is the cord length of 2 segments = the radius.

2 Likes

A pun?

-G

1 Like

I know I am new to this Sketchup thing but I think I can explain this to you. I noticed that this was happening as well and thought it was completely random. As I delved deeper into my design, I realized this happens when you have what appears to be a meeting of two lines when, in fact, you have two lines and then there are several little line segments connecting the two.

I discovered this when I was trying to double click and I noticed the “rejecting zero length segment” message. I happened to use the eraser and deleted the two lines that I thought were intersecting in a nice neat angle and noticed that there were very tiny little line segments between the two.

This is what you think you have (and what you need for the arc tool)

What you really have is this (the little line segments are shown as red and blue for clarity)

The little bitty red and blue (in my example) lines are what give you the zero length segment. The line segments need to be longer than the radius of your curve. I found this out the hard way, read lots of sweating and wondering what is happening.

I also took the advice of others in this thread and blew the drawing up by a factor of 100. This allowed me to see the little bitty lines that were too small to see in my original drawing. If you were to blow up a factor of even higher, say 1000, you would definitely see the little bitty lines.

How I got around this was to use the eraser and erase the bitty lines as well as the next segment back from the corner I was trying to put the arc on. Then I would simply draw in the lines on each side of the angle. The magenta feature is a nice touch. I was able to tell when I was in line with the previous segment using this feature. I then could double click with the arc tool and it would cut off the remaining corner giving me a nice radius.

I imagine there might be a tool for doing what I just did so I would not have to manually clean up the little tiny line segments. I just didn’t know where to look for it and, frankly, didn’t have the time right then to hunt it down. It was quicker to simply find the spots giving me trouble and clean up the line segments manually.

Sorry for the two posts, the forum will not allow new users to post two images in one post. I had to break it into two posts to get the images to load.

The problem arose for me when I was using a drawing that was sent to me. I had to clean up the corners so they were perfect corners without little “hangers” in there gumming up the works.

On things that I drew myself, I had no issues with the arc tool after I learned here in this thread that I started how to operate it.

Is it just me or does the “magenta double-click” only work went it is a single face. So you need to cut the corners before you extrude it up. As it will not auto cut them on an extruded face, you need to mark each corner. Then use push / pull to off-set the opposite edge, but then you can double click each corner to cut them with push / pull remembering the distance.

The option to round corners is for single faces at corners with only two edges running to the vertex.