Push/Pull with negative value

hello everyone, I’m having a small problem with sketchup that I’ve started using recently.

the problem I’m having is with the push/pull tool.
I’m trying to make a shape smaller by using the push/pull tool going inwards on a surface. with the tool this works as expected, but I’m trying to use precise measurements so I enter the value that I want the surface to go inwards, which in this case would be 5mm. so I enter -5 (as I’m using millimeters as measurement) but instead of going inwards the surface goes outwards, just as if I had entered a positive value.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I am probably doing something wrong and I was hoping someone could tell me what I’m doing wrong

If it doesn’t go with -5 just use 5.

but that would still have the surface go outwards, which I don’t want, I want it to go inwards
I already figured out another way using the measure tool, but I’d still like to know if there’s a way to do this with just the push/pull tool, as you’re able to go inwards using the tool itself, but not with the precise measurements

You could also use the Scale tool.

I don’t know exactly what is your scenario. But you should be able to do what you want. It’s just that at time some faces are reversed or the directions are a bit odd and when inserting a negative value it acts like a positive.
Just try it near your geometry with a rectangle.

When using many of the SketchUp tools with precision in mind, my actions tend to follow this process

1. First… I inform SketchUp what the positive action direction should be
  2. Second… I provide the precise measurement of the action.

The gif below is an example …

• The first rectangle I pull the surface out (This tells SU what the positive direction should be)… then I type in the positive direction.
  • The second rectangle I push the rectangle in (… this tells SU what the positive direction should be)… then I type in the same values as before.
  • For the third rectangle, notice that I push the rectangle IN (telling SU what the positive direction should be)…BUT I type in a negative number… which is the opposite of my assigned positive direction.

I hope this makes sense and that it helps

CD

2 Likes