Push/Pull dimension - it does not measure what I push/pull it to

They are out of parallel.

The angle at ‘a’ is not exactly 90 degrees

I would suggest the easiest way to fix it is to either start again or just recreate the top left opening.

1 Like

How did you draw the top part? The others are correct: although the bottom is square, the top is ever so slightly off. Note the ~ on the angle to the top (which indicates an inexact displayed value) vs the square marking on the bottom (which indicates exactly 90 degrees)

On learning this, it seems to me the best fix would be to chop the frame off at the corner that is wrong and then pushpull the properly square new face back up to the top.

Edit: on looking further, there are a lot of edges and faces at peculiar spacings and slightly wrong angles, including in the bottom portion. I agree that you might be best served by deleting all of the door and starting over rather than getting frustrated chasing all of these tiny errors and struggling to get SketchUp to make changes that are smaller than it wants to.

As in my first post.
Simple fix: (move one short top edge back and forth with taking advantage of inferencing)

This will result in a 90 deg. corner and parallel faces. Now pushing the larger face to 1.25" will be correct.

I doesn’t really, it may round the displayed value to what the user has specified. But the underlying numbers are very accurate.
And in a sense it is this accuracy conflicting with ‘length snapping’ that causes the problem.
Many of us have been asking for years for length snapping to be turned off in all templates and a warning/explanatory pop up when activated.

It could be said that any ‘rounding’ is actually being done in the face creation. There is a tolerance that allows faces to form that are ever so slightly bent. This makes it possible to have usable flat faces that can be pushpulled etc that technically should be faceted.

All things considered, being this is such a a simple shape, I would recommend redrawing to with Length Snapping turned off, and keep very close eye on your input values.

This sort of model should only be a few minutes of input, and should be ready to keep in plane.

You might also turn on Color Wdges By Axis so you can see if you get any edges that are slightly off square.

1 Like

This is the first I’m hearing of Length Snapping. It turns out to have been unchecked in my model, but could you please explain what it is? After extensive searching I am still not 100% understanding… maybe I’m thinking it’s more complicated than it is.

The model you uploaded has it checked, which is why it has been suggested you uncheck it.
It is designed to help snap to a specific length when you are laying out some sort of grid.
The problem comes when when you have it turned on during general modelling. It tries to force a specific length and if that conflicts with an endpoint or inference it will shift the vertex to make the length correct, even if it is off axis. This creates tiny errors that are within the tolerance of the face forming algorithm and the color by axis.

1 Like

Thank you for this explanation. Does that mean that you can get undesired results if you snap to a point / face / or enter in the length you want to push / pull to?

Quite the opposite, with length snapping turned off specific measurements and inferences should be accurate.

Perhaps you mean if it is turned on these things can happen, yes.

1 Like

Yes I meant if it is turned on. I still don’t understand what it does, but now I understand why there are so many posts about people suggesting it be made more visible, and turned off from the beginning. So I appreciate the extra knowledge.

It is turned off for some of the shipped templates. Create your own template with Length Snapping turned off andother settings as desired and make it your default.

I also suggested that you turn it off in my first post in this topic. Likely the source fo your problems, here.

1 Like

It is always off in my models from the beginning. It had been set in my default template.

But it isn’t, the model you have uploaded has it turned on.

1 Like

So… back to my suggestion… start a new model, make sure Length Snapping is off, and re-model this geometry. I bet this effort goes much better for you.

3 Likes

I put these objects into a new model that does not have my settings.

I was looking to investigate this instance, not looking for suggestions moving forward, but appreciate the effort.

Uuuh, I’ve gotten in trouble with turning on Color By Axis and expecting it to be correct. Later in the modeling process I’ve been unable to complete faces, due to inaccuracies of millionths of an inch that did not show up by Color To Axis.

1 Like

Yep. Color by axis has a tolerance. It will accept edges that are a tiny amount askew. It is ok as a rough check, but doesn’t guarantee perfection.

With ‘Length snapping’ turned off you can very much rely on ‘Color: by axes’ for modeling along axes. On the other hand _already existing _ geometry may still show axis color due to being within tolerance as @slbaumgartner pointed out. These inaccuracies can by caused by a number of things depending on how you modeled.