Problems w/Skalp

Anyone using Skalp having it behave strangely? Like when switching from a Skalp section scene to a standard SketchUp scene a Skalp section shows up offset to the location of the section plan & its not supposed to be showing any sections!

I’m not sure if you manipulated layers settings somehow, but the SKALP gegerated layers for the section planes are showing as per your screenshot, switch those off for scenes this is unwated geometry showing.

@Guy can also chime in here, he’s the SKALP developer.

Probably the problem is that you put your section plane inside a group or component.
The Skalp section should be in the model itself.

1 Like

great advice @Guy, anything on this maybe?

Thanks for the reply Guy & Julian, but I didn’t do any of those things. I’ve been working with Skalp for over 2 years now, never had that problem. I think its something else.

Please send the model to support@skalp4sketchup.com
Which Skalp version do you use?

What you also can try is:

• turn off Skalp
  • select this wrong section,
  • unlock it
  • delete it
  • turn Skalp on again.

I’m having the same issue, over and over. On my last project I completed the steps that Guy offers above and it solved the issue. This time, nothing seems to change this issue. Another issue seems to be the inability to delete section planes in Skalp. I’ll delete them, save, and then they reappear in Skalp as if I didn’t delete them. I’ve spent a lot of time on this issue. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Weird. Yea Skalp has always been buggy in some minor ways. Hopefully these bugs are ironed out more soon… I used Skalp for a long time, few years. Funny enough, I’m currently realizing just how all I really need is the native sketchup section cuts. Less is more. That’s been the theme for me this year, ha…

Still having this issue. The section cut isn’t in a group or component. This time I can’t find a workaround. Really hoping Skalp support will come through with a solution. Losing so much time and money with an otherwise great plugin.

Skalp has been buggy since the beginning, I thought once I needed skalp too, I than realized I was making things too complicated. If speaking from a designer point of view to ultimately create a permit set, than a section cut does not need any hatching anywhere. For a permit set, the only time that a section cut should show hatching is for a building section, however even that is untrue when details are used and referenced properly for the project. All together, it was a breath of fresh air to realize that I didn’t need to add all this hatching complexity. I would suggest keeping your plans more simple in this regard, they will look better and be more legible without adding section cut detail for all section cuts when it’s just completely unecessarry to begin with when it comes to permit documents. If used and referenced properly, details do more explaining of a buildings wall, floor, roof details than a section cut does, the building section is just for perspective at that point and still very helpful for perspective purposes to all people involved. Keep it simple and ditch skalp, that would be my recommendation. Hopefully you figure it out.

1 Like

It all depends on what ones local authorities require. I too agree that it ought to be enough to represent a wall with two lines and a reference to the specification applying to the wall type, but local conventions might require the wall section to be shown with its layers and hatching.

1 Like

I’ve heard that argument before of yours. There are many ways to create an intuitive illustration of any kind for the building authorities. I think you’re advice is possibly wrong all together in this regard or certainly has more options than just one available, unless of course you’ve confirmed this specifically and provided many examples for your authorities that they have denied all of them but the one you’re thinking of or referencing… I think though this is not general advice you’re making and instead a very rare scenario that doesn’t apply to most people or most authorities.

There are many ways to display something and I’ve never had or heard of what you’re mentioning specifically on building sections.

I am guessing that this person is using skalp for much more than building sections and yea my overall advice is it’s just adding complexity that isn’t needed and in my mind the simpler sections look much better anyways. Once I realized this, I’ve been saving a lot of headache since. My own view though of course.

In general, extension developers merely expose bugs in the API of SketchUp (see the actual threads on the grey context menu-items). They also come up with workarounds for the time being, because they generally have more insights in the workings of SketchUp than endusers or product managers, especially when they go a long way(ea. ‘Since the beginning’)

In our region, permit drawings need to comply with a standard (NEN 47) with rules for scales (and level of detail), hatching (based on materials) linewidths etc.
http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/bk-wiki/Bouwtechnisch_Tekenen:_Tekentechnieken

I had a quick look at the video, but uploading the model itself is often more ‘productive’.

2 Likes