Problem with pushing walls

I’m trying to bring my walls down by 1’ but the walls just won’t move. I think it might be an issue with the wall with the windows but i’m still quite new to sketch up and I can’t figure it out. I’ve had a google and haven’t had much luck! Could anyone help? I’ve uploaded my model so I hope it works. Thank you in advance!

Where have you uploaded your model? I can’t see it.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Let me try again. I selected the upload button so i’m not sure why it hasn’t appeared. Thanks for your patience, this is the first time I’ve used the forum. Has this worked now?

Nope.

I’m sorry it’s not working. I’m selecting the ‘upload’ button, is that the correct way to do it?

Yes. What size is the file? I think there is a 4Mb limit.

ah it’s 31MB :confused: is there an easy way I can reduce this?

You can upload the file here: https://wetransfer.com/ and then post the transfer link

Thank you so much for your help!! I hope this works now

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c10f2f7aac0e4e35b7341b6b083ffa0a20180202094906/4e862244e489126b5ed02c66de0c595d20180202094906/80cf7f

You may be able to reduce it by using a plugin like Cleanup if the size is due to stray geometry. But that won’t work if it is because you have a lot of complex components.

If your problem is with one small element, why not select it and put it in a new drawing with nothing else, then upload that.

@liamk887 has suggested an alternative but personally I wouldn’t want to download a huge file just to see what you are doing wrong!

Ahh the joys of Sweden and Gigabit internet! I haven’t seen a large file since I left the UK!

Well I just opened the file and the walls work fine (you can move them). Your problem is the way you have built the model. You have lots of ‘extra’ lines and geometry in the walls themselves. This stops you from bringing the whole thing down in one motion.

Some ways to fix it:

1. Build the walls again
  2. Manually delete and close up those extra lines
  3. Make each wall into it’s own component rather than having the entire model as a single ungrouped entity

Mainly learning to model in groups as you go will save you a bunch of time in the end when you want to make tweaks such as this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my model. This is the first model I have made on sketch up so there’s probably a lot of newby mistakes! Could I just check something, regarding your third point. Would you make each wall face into it’s own component then? I’m still not 100% sure on the uses of components. Many thanks.

Sorry I meant Group not component.

As you can see here, I have made one of the walls a group. However because of the way you have modelled, the skirting sections are also ‘part’ of the walls so there are geometry gaps you would need to fill in.

I think it would be easier to just re-build the walls. And the quickest way to do that would be to just copy and paste the ‘top’ of the wall and extrude it down, then make it into a group. Delete the existing wall and move the new one back into place, you will need to cut out for the doors and windows should not take too long.

I would highly recommend watching the first three SketchUp training videos on you tube it will cover all the basics and you will be flying through in no time. Getting Started with SketchUp - Part 1 - YouTube

Thank you so much again, that so helpful. I will do that now!

Thank you again! I have done what you suggested and the walls are fine now and sitting at the correct height. I’m having problems though, applying the wallpaper. In the previous model I drew a two rectangles on the face of the wall for the 2 different wallpapers (one above and one below the dado rail) but now when I do it, it’s glitching. I’ve researched and i’ve been reading about z-fighting but I can’t seem to find a resolution to this. Could anyone give me any pointers? I truly appreciate your time.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/50c8afe2c9a856cc93875950f7cc2fed20180202132816/60d71ace5da21e7bf1b59fb3b328da9d20180202132816/342c1f

You have lots of reverse faces so you should sort that before you look into materials.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.