PROBLEM : Sketchup 2023 : new installation experience, including Studio features

Hi, here is my problem.

When installing Sketchup Pro 2023 with all Studio options unchecked (I don’t have a Studio license, I only have a PRO license), the new installation procedure systematically uninstalls V-Ray which is installed on my PC.

Any explanation?

yeah, it does this for me too.

@olivia_feng
The Studio installer appears to uninstall V-Ray 6 if it is already installed (even if you choose not to install it)

In any case, I wouldn’t worrytoo , V-Ray 6 is fundamentally the same whether you have a studio sub or a Chaos.com sub and anything installed is interchangeable.
You could install it via the studio installer or reinstall it from chaos.co and it would work the same

edit:
The very latest V-ray installer will install the correct plugin for 2023 - so perhaps you would need to reinstall it anyway?

Hi,
I don’t find it normal to uninstall a third party application without warning.
I think this should be corrected and removed from the installation process.
I have written about this on the Chaos forum.

“The very latest V-ray installer will install the correct plugin for 2023 - so perhaps you would need to reinstall it anyway?”
What if I don’t want to install it.
What if I already have it installed on Sketchup Pro 2022.
What if I want to test only Sketchup Pro 2023 while keeping Sketchup Pro 2022 + V-Ray functional to continue producing for my clients.

Maybe next time Sketchup Pro 2024 will automatically uninstall all previous versions of Sketchup and all plugins without warning.

1 Like

lol I don’t think it’s a particuarly strange suggestion that you have chosen to install the newest version of SketchUp and as a V-Ray user you would probably want V-Ray to work with it :smiley:

I think wanting to use 2022 with V-Ray an wanting to NOT use your compatible V-Ray with 2023 is the very definintion of an edge case.
Especially when you can have both installed concurrently with no consequence I an think of.

Anways, I’m sure it will be a bug - the installer should be running an upgrade to the V-Ray at the very least, rather than removing it.

I literally destroyed my installation of SketchUp 2023 and spent 3 hours trying to work out how to bring it back to life after you pointed this out, it didn’t like being uninstalled and reinstalled so many times.

I literally destroyed my installation of SketchUp 2023 and spent 3 hours trying to work out how to bring it back to life after you pointed this out, it didn’t like being uninstalled and reinstalled so many times.

Before reporting this problem, I “too had fun” uninstalling and reinstalling Sketchup 2023 and V-Ray to see if the problem recurs. It did happen every time.
I had no particular problem uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, except that it was a waste of time.

Hi I will contact out devOps team and see if its a bug. Thanks for your report.