Practice, practice

Just more practice… and the handles ~ drawer pulls are getting easy, but I am finding a deep hate growing for hinges though.

Making Drawings That Can Move

Nice.

I like drawing hinges better than drawer pulls.

It all hinges on whose drawers you are pulling.

They are easy to make look like they work, but to get them to open correctly, function or become a DC is a hair puller. I’ll trade you a dozen drawer pulls for 6 hinges any day…!!

One trick with a hinge is to run a line out from the rotation point to somewhere outside where you can get to it.
Put a face on the end of the line to give you a ‘handle’ to rotate. All the bits can be put on a layer and hidden when not needed.

I don’t bother making them as DC. Not worth the effort for my use. But they shouldn’t be difficult to make hinge-able.

When I make them I do something to similar to knows and make them so they will drop into place easily. If I have to show them in different positions, I rotate them after inserting them.

You can add a cross hair on the center of rotation, too.

Thanks to you both and will give it a try on the next go round… I just need to make a few more of them to become routine. And I would guest using scenes to open and close would be easier also. I just need work in a bunch of areas so in combining a few things. Helps use the time I have a little better. Thanks for the advice will put it to use and…Peace…

Scenes could be a good idea but keep in mind, if you rotate a hinge leaf in one scene, it’ll show as rotate in another scene unless you use different copies of the hinge in the different scenes.

Here’s a quick example of what I mean. The blue and red disk is centered on, and perpendicular to the hinge and can easily be turned on and off.

Now I like this ! been thinking about making something like this for my panagram table or a drawing table as I need one add front edge for board to be against and use T-Square and tools to draw it . . my scribblings free hand suck a great deal !

You can create parts of hinges as components and combine a different number of them, e.g.
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59406

Thanks and here is the file, it is also in the 3D Warehouse.

Stand Up drawing_construction table.skp (744.8 KB)

Thanks for the insight and the link ( I think a lot of people here…have forget about or don’t relies all the info that is still over there ~ years of insight ). It is like I have dyslexia with only certain things and hinges are one of them! All the help and more practice is the cure for sure, THANKS!! …Peace…

More than 550.000 posts are hard to remember, it’s hard enough with the self-written ones :wink:

Thanks and with your example I now have it in my head how to make them function properly. Also book marked this one to share down the road…I just needed a push, THANKS for the share!! …Peace…

cotty_hinge_component_REMAKE.skp (472.3 KB)

cotty_hinge_component_REMAKE.skp (472.3 KB)

Thanks and with your example I now have it in my head how to make them function properly. Also book marked this one to share down the road…I just needed a push, THANKS for the share!! …Peace…

Looks Great otherwise :slight_smile: