Placing label on plastic cup

Hello,

I’m trying to place label on model of plastic cup. I’m using SketchUV plugin. The best I reached is shoved on attached screenshot. As you can see there’re distortions near round corners. Do you have any idea how to get straight label?

I can also attach 3D model, but it’s too big to upload.

If you compress the file with winzip or winrar it will bring down the file size a lot.
Is your geometry completely smooth ? Have you tried the quad faces option? Or the tube option ?

Thanks for advice, but it’s still too big (greater than 3,5 MB). I uploaded it on wetransfer. Link here.

I tried cylindrical map and spherical map. Other methods give wrong results.

Could you check smoothens of this model?

The model is imported and was a bit faulty- missing faces etc- I have fixed those.
The mapping is still difficult- as you can see there are still some problems in the middle of the corners.
This is the closest I can do with this mesh. I have kept the corners separated and mapped them individually.
I would try to apply the sides and leave the corner with a simple color(matching the label backgound) if the label allows you.
67-67a.zip (1.5 MB)

Thank you for fixing model. I get it as model exported from SolidWorks.

Your result is much better than mine. As you said the easiest way to hide this tiny issue on corners will be making them from solid color or totally without color (in color of cup).

Could you recommend other plug-in or SketchUV is the best one for UV mapping?

The model probably has loads of unnecessary geometry in it, but as an initial thing, try to “purge” the model (Window | Model Info | Statistics | Purge unused) and see if it reduces.

If you have the image as a flat label (jpg image file), then the texture will wrap around any curve, but you need to turn hidden geometry on and paint each facet as it turns the corner:

The problem is that the surface you are trying to paint on is not vertical, so the corner tapers as it turns - a flat bit of paper would crease and wrinkle, so a flat texture will only map the image where the paper would touch the surface. By filling each surface with the texture you have the ability to select exactly which bit of the paper (texture) touches: r-click and position texture… If you had the patience you could even distort each instance by a fraction so that you stretch the image to fit rather than wrinkle it.
(Note that the pipette tool will lift a texture’s position/distortion so that the paint tool will replicate it)