Pasting Into New Layer

Learning here and used to Illustrator so I have to think differently. I am trying to copy items from one layer and paste them into a new layer. However it keeps putting it back in the original layer…? I’v tried it as a component, hiding layer and not component items. No luck, always goes back to the original layer.

In SketchUp layers are not like boxes you place things in, but attributes you apply to things. Instead of layers, use groups and components to organize the model.

First off, make sure you understand what SketchUp Layers do and don’t do. They are not like CAD layers and don’t organize anything except by providing a flag that makes multiple things visible or not at the same time. See, for example,

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/controlling-visibility-layers

That said, the simplest way to assign a different layer to one or more entities is to select them and then change the Layer field in the Entity Info window.

Okay, just a new way of thinking. Now when I copy one component to another file, part of the component is missing…

How about sharing the two SKP files so we can see what you’ve got going on?

That sounds like a case of having some of your geometry on a layer other than “0”.

Many new users find the video tutorials helpful.

Components

Layers