Override snapping

Hi,

Is there a button/shortcut to prevent whatever tool you’re using from snapping to a line parallel to the axes (or for that matter, snapping to an edge, endpoint, line etct.)?

nope. all snaps are always on.

But you can adjust how it snaps.
go to Window/Model Info Units and change the settings to suit.
You can disable length snapping and set the units and precision to something finer so it doesn’t make big jumps.

Much of the Inference Engine’s behavior is view based.

Simply zoom in to control what you allowed it to see.

1 Like

Something else that might be helpful to you is to tap one of the arrow keys on your keyboard to lock alignment along an axis. This ensures that you will be moving along one direction, providing more control over your movements.

this is a good question - in Vectorworks you can hold a key to temporarily suspend snapping. you may not want to zoom in and out to control snapping.
Can Sketchup add this an enhancement request?

Say you start an edge on an existing vertex of you geometry > temporary suspend snapping > where will you be adding the the second vertex to end that edge, being in 3D?

I know, it can be a pain to constantly zoom in and out. But a lot of that may be avoided by taking full advantage of SketchUp’s inferencing engine. I keep being surprised by what they (the SketchUp team) add as inferencing options over all the years.

If you do want the “temporarily suspend snapping” option, you may want to make a genuine feature request to the developers in the ‘Feature request’ forum section.

1 Like

Totally suspending inference snapping would be a bad idea because then SketchUp would have no idea where along the ray through the cursor in 3D you wanted to pick. It’s tempting to reply “at whatever the cursor is over”, but that is an inference snap!

thanks, but VW has it and I can assure you at times it is useful

SU doesn’t.

Can you give is the circumstances where you apply suspending snapping without the program getting lost in space?

Does VW create sticky geometry out of (in current view) seemingly “connected” edges?

SketchUp’s snap logic was designed from a different perspective than other modeling apps: instead of providing a suite of snap types that you can turn on and off to control how a 2D screen pick is mapped into 3D model space, SketchUp’s inference engine always looks for all types of snaps and then lets you use the shift and arrow keys to lock to a particular one.

For someone coming from an app that works the other way, it can take a while to become comfortable and fluent with SketchUp’s inference system. And, admittedly, there are situations where it is difficult to persuade SketchUp to identify the particular snap you want so that you can lock it. There may be multiple alternatives near the cursor, forcing you to zoom, orbit, or wiggle the cursor around to isolate the one you want. That can seem like wasted effort and time, though how much waste depends on how comfortable a user is with maneuvering in 3D and it isn’t clear to me that matters would be a lot better if you could turn off certain snaps.

Such cases have led to frequent requests for more control over snaps. There have been refinements to SketchUp’s inference system over the years, but never to the extent of suspending specific snap types. I don’t think this is because the developers don’t understand the nature of the requests, but rather that SketchUp’s inference engine logic is so deeply entangled in the app that changing it would be a massive undertaking.

1 Like

when I want to locate an object in a grid, and it keeps snapping to the grid, instead of where I want it, equally spaced from the sides of the grid.
G