Orienting a hip tile to follow the line of a hipped roof

After hours of frustration I am turning to others for help here.

I am drawing a house with a hipped roof and wish to lay the hip tiles along the line of the hipped roof. Despite watching umpteen videos on the use of. the rotate tool for off-axis drawing, I cannot for the life of me find the correct technique to line this up along the slope of the roof line. I have drawn a face along the middle of which goes the roof line but still can’t get the tile to orient as I need t
Hip tiles aligned to hip roof lineskp.skp (152.3 KB)
o. I’d be most grateful for someone to tell me how to do it (rather than just do it for me: I wish to learn for the future).

Many thanks.

Andrew

It’s easier if you work in Perspective Mode.

Many thanks indeed for that excellent help you have given me. I’ve tried the gluing method and that works absolutely fine. I’m going to try the second method soon but I anticipate running into difficulties with sheer lack of knowledge on how to use the rotate tool off axis; but I’ll try.

Once again, I’m most grateful to you.

Andrew

Nope. I just cannot get the hang of this rotation tool off axis. I’ve tried and tried and tried but to no avail. Is there a tutorial video out there that could help me?

Regards.

Andrew

I just move whatever it is that is off axis to the origin (out of context). Then I place a guideline on an edge to use as a reference and rotate the off axis object on axis. I make whatever change I want to make and move back off axis using the reference edge and guideline. Finally, I place it in context back to where I want it.

See if you understand what you need to do from this tutorial. I’ve set it to start (8:41) exactly at the part I think you don’t know or understand… click and slide to orient it.

But it’s a good idea to watch the full video afterwards to learn from Aaron how to use the Rotate tool.

Many thanks for that video. I’ve had a look at it and am beginning to understand how it works. I will need to follow that and just keep practising.

Again, I’m most grateful fro your help.

Kind regards.

Andrew

I understand what you mean by this and I have tried it. It sort of worked but I’m trying to find a more intuitive method using the rotate tool. I shall keep practising; but thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Regards.

Andrew