Orbit 3D model...around 1 Axis only!

So I was wondering if there is an extension (or a way) to rotate a 3D view, BUT only along 1 axis?

Now I don’t mean using the rotate tool, I would like to use the Orbit tool, but lock it or forces it into only one orbit around an axis.

Basically when I’m creating compelling 3D views for Layout Scenes, I would like to take a Front view, (elevation) in parallel projection, …change to the Perspective (camera) view, and THEN orbit around the ‘green’ axis.

I am trying to get a view that for sure has all the horizontal and front facing lines to be perfectly horizontal to the viewers eye.

It’s almost like how holding ‘shift’ key can force other operations into fixed motions.

Does such an extension exist?

Or is there a way to do this that i have yet to figure out?

Thanks in advance SKP forum peeps!

UpFront had a specific tool to create what was called a “Turntable Movie,” which is basically what you’re describing. Trying to do that with SketchUp doesn’t work out so well as the camera bounces from one key frame to another. There have been previous threads on this forum about this problem and suggested work-arounds, so I’d say this is a popular request.

Fredo Animate may be a solution, but I’ve only glanced at it. Maybe someone with better expertise liek @TDahl could enlighten.

Thanks for the info.

I’m actually just trying to find a way to make the “orbit” change the view for use in a static image…no animation required.

One can achieve a similar result just using the orbit tool, and very carefully pulling down on the mouse, in a perfectly vertical motion, while not moving off the imaginary and true 90˚ vertical aspect. Once the users hand/mouse slightly deviates off true 90˚, (left or right) …then you get the orbit tool doing what its designed to do…unfortunately, NOT what I want it to do in this case :slight_smile:

Ok, yes, I get your meaning. Sounds more likely a feature request than something an extension could do, but I’m not an extension developer. Given the rotate and protractor tools’ ability to lock axes with arrow keys, shift key and click-drag an axis, you would think you could leverage those tools into the orbit tool as well in a way. Nice idea.

Well we cannot directly affect native tools with the API.

But we can write tools that mimic native tools.

How would you get your modified Orbit tool to rotate round a particular point?

Wouldn’t it be easier to mark a point on the ground plane of the model for the centre of rotation, or just always centre the origin in the view and rotate around that, then select all the (visible?) parts of the model - preferably as one component - then Rotate about that point?

Alternatively, you could create a whole new tool to mimic Orbit, to first pick a centre of rotation, then move the camera around the model about the blue axis - instead of my first suggestion, of rotating the model in front of the camera.

Not a trivial task, but not too difficult for a good Ruby programmer (which I’m not).

@slbaumgartner or @DanRathbun for example, or one of many others, could probably knock one up in a day or so, I’m guessing.

I have used the approach of rotating the model rather than moving the camera. The result is indistinguishable (unless there are fixed environmental aspects such as a skybox, light sources casting shadows, etc.).

One SketchUp feature that I’ve never really explored is Camera->Position Camera. I have a feeling that it can be useful for such matters of control (perhaps combined with parts of the model itself, such as guide lines or points for positioning accuracy), but I don’t know how it works.

It’s only a matter of placing the camera at the decired location and then, while still with the Lmouse button down, dragging the cursor to the target. Only then let go of the Lmouse button.

Groovy, thanks for the summary of Position Camera. Nice, I’ll try to remember! :slight_smile:

I already posted an example of locating the camera around the model using polar coordinates …

It could likely be adapted.

ADD: And BTW, … @gmashee, I posted links at the bottom of an explanatory post (in that example thread,) to a couple of plugins.