Operating system not adequate

Im trying to install sketchup 2020, but it says my operating system is not adequate. 2019 installed without a problem and its a very fast new computer. Im a mac user and just switched to pc, so I dont know my way around windows. I tried the check system app, but it said everything was fine except it couldnt read the graphics card. Im using a remote desktop service. Can anyone help?

1 Like

Here are my specs:
windows Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

1 Like

And more specs:
system info

Maybe the installer checks the OS Name and does not no Windows Server?

A Mac user switching to PC? That needs explaining!

3 Likes

Sketchup doesn’t support Virtual Environments.

1 Like

All the good rendering software is on a pc. Unless you know a great one that works on a mac?

1 Like

V-Ray is supported in macOS. It’s considered industry standard.

Ive heard from a couple of my renderers that Enscape and Lumion and twin motion are all better then v-ray… but I know nothing about rendering. Can you explain why v-ray is better?

I guess I can use twinmotion on a mac, but I want to suggest the best renderer to my students and Im not sure the advantages of each.

1 Like

“X is better than Y” is a blanket term I’d personally avoid - different jobs require different tools. If you want to go all out on realism then yes, VRay is definitely way to go.

If you need a really efficient workflow and VR but agree to sacrifice some realism for decent realtime performance then Enscape might be your weapon of choice. If you don’t care too much about SKP live integration (like in Enscape) but want some nice weather effects and animated props TwinMotion is pretty good.

1 Like

I would say that Twinmotion has much better UI. Also, it has mega scans which makes it very realistic. The BIM motion tours are also very helpful for touring full models.

Thanks! Very helpful information! Any opinions about Podium or lumion? They both seem to have great component libraries, which is really important, but you cant take items from the lumion library back to sketchup and layout, which is a downside. Which programs do you think have the best libraries?

I never said Vray was better than the others. I just said it’s an industry standard and it’s available on the macOS platform. Its features SEEM incredibly robust and almost overkill. It is often compared to like it’s a standard. Many other rendering engines are also native to the Mac platform. Some are PC only.