OpenGL error while opening Sketchup in Wine

I installed Sketchup Pro 2016 32 bit in my Linux system using Wine. The installation went fine. Post installation, while starting the program,

1. I am shown the welcome screen where I will have to choose the template (which I did).
  2. After I click “Start Sketchup Button”, I am shown this error.

Can anyone help me?

The first question would be, did you do what the error message told you to do?

According to your profile you have no graphics card. Maybe you should deal with that. SketchUp requires OpenGL so start there.

I don’t have a discrete graphics card, that’s why I left the field emply in my profile. My current onboard graphics is NVIDIA GeForce 6100.

I have run Sketchup without graphics card but on the on-board graphics in my Windows PC. Moreover what confused me is that the error asks me to install the correct drivers when I had already installed the correct drivers. Verified it using nvidia-detect package too.

I haven’t checked if OpenGL was installed. I will do that and update…

Are you sure you didn’t install SketchUp 2017?

Yes, I am sure. I haven’t installed SketchUp 2017. I tried installing it but it wasn’t accepting the 64bit wine prefix; was recognising Windows as 32 bit. Hence couldn’t install.

This is my current openGL status:
toor@linux:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6100 nForce 405/integrated/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.131
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL extensions:

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 NVIDIA 304.131 304.131
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
toor@linux:~$

I am not well versed in this subject… Can anyone help if this is good enough or do I have to install it using sudo apt-get install build-essential libgl1-mesa-dev?

This is clearly not adequate for SU 2017, which requires OpenGL 3.0. You will have to investigate whether it is possible to install OpenGL 3.0 drivers in Wine, there is nothing SU can do about this shortcoming (for what it’s worth, I also can’t run SU 2017 using the Parallels VM on my Mac because it only supports OpenGL 2.1).

There are two questions you will need to answer: does this version of mesa support OpenGL 3.0, and does Wine use the linux-installed mesa library or something of its own? These are both questions for Linux experts.

Edit: a bit of further research shows that OpenGL support must be compiled into Wine when you build it. So, there is some more work required than just updating your Linux system’s drivers.

That Nvidia driver sounds quite old. Mine is not the latest, and version number starts with 368…

Anssi

Hmmm… Let me get back to configuring wine then… Thanks for now…

If anyone cares, the need to rebuild Wine is because it must generate “thunks” that translate between Windows dll calling conventions and Linux library calls, even for equivalent functions and libraries. Wine does so during the build, but only for the entries in the libraries present and configured at the time.

What’s your take on playonlinux? Do you think it’ll be easier to set up SketchUp there?

I’ve never used it, so no basis for opinion. Sorry.