Open Letter: Time to say goodbye to Sketchup as an enthusiastic non-professional because of the pricing model

another one would like to see a price depending on the amount of functionality using, i.e. if only using used defined parts of the functionality without arcs, annotations and section cuts the pricing should be deducted accordingly… aka cherry picking, this is not the way it works.

Look Box, when trumble want to ask more money they have to offer accordingly, and everyone in the forum agree, what is offered isnt at user expectation level in term of features

3 Likes

Not everyone in the forum agrees.

3 Likes

It is up to you if you want to pay extra for no improvement, just because inflations. As you said like it or leave it

One could very well look at it from a different perspective, if all the ‘old skool users’ payed a little bit more for using the software all this time, we might have been on another level already.
It’s just beginning to roll again.

@trampy
When you think of $ 1095 per year is really unexpensive:
May I ask if you use Sketchup professionally or as an amateur?

Please remember our discussion topic is about amateurs.

1 Like

When you started this thread you must have known that it is a troll magnet.

4 Likes

Please let me remember everyone here when I purchased sketchup pro permanent licence I payed 1025 USD. And now casually trimble ask me 250 usd/per year for What?!?!? I cant import a PFD, many missing essential fonctions in layout, every update required reinstalling all pluggins some of them will works other no. I am using sketchup from 2007 but I feel since google has sold sketchup, we are abused because there is no improvements justify the price increasing.

3 Likes

A monthly subscription would be great. Solid works has a 99 Euro a month option for a similar concept as Sketchup web.

I’m an OAP who doesn’t use SketchUp regularly. My income is limited to the UK state pension. I renewed my subscription last week in the run up to Christmas. Bad timing on my part, but if I can afford it, who can’t?

Enough with the veiled “you’ve lost me” insults. You lost yourself. Yellow card. Not nice.

There are many more expensive hobbies. Try golf, for instance.

1 Like

I dont want to drag the discussion into comparaison between softwares, since every software has his different approach and different purpose for different need for exemple Rhino / Grasshopper v7 is 900 usd perpetual licence .
But what I claim for, is that Trimble has to developpe sketchup to follow the users need , win win solution . Nothing more, sorry if anyone feel offensed of my comments. But me I like sketchup and always will keep use it.

At least Sketchup viewer is still free. I create models in Turbocad and then import them into Sketchup for viewing, after editing the view a bit. I have bought a year’s subscription to Sketchup, and if I don’t need it after that, my models are still viewable in the free viewer

I have been in the business for 40 years. I have used every CAD software out there from the first version of AutoCAD, Revit, Solidworks, even MicroStation and all of the free stuff you can find. For the price, SketchUp is the best value hands down. Value is what you are looking for, not the cheapest as the cheapest is free open source junk.

You will come back around, I predict :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think those responding that work for or consult, for Sketchup, do not realize the impact over the last couple of years the hardship many of us are facing.Staying financially afloat in these trying times has been a challenge.It is OK if you have an amazing cash flow business, but I think the majority of us rely on customer receivables, which now and again don’t always materialize when they should. Many of us have suffered the client pauses, changes, and cancellations! If your like me MASSIVE Client Bankruptcies! All the business glitches that can and are imagined. I am sure the person says he/she is not a professional, and may or may not relate. But as I mentioned before Adobe started this and never suffered a drop in business. You can’t fault success, even if Sketchup went to $1600.00 a year but never lost a subscription, you could not blame Trimble because YOU personally could not afford it.

1 Like

Please allow me to remind you what the initial posting says: “pricing model” not “price”.

I criticise it as inappropriate that amateurs and commercial users pay the same fee.
Emphasis on “the same”.

I criticise the lack of differentiation.

1 Like

I agree about Affinity, however you do not want to be in a hurry. I was with Adobe since 1986…I was 43 then a lot easier to learn. :grinning:

Never smoked and never drank, still, Sketchup is expensive, I am sure when the economy rebounds here in the US that will not be the case. Evey thing is relevant. Doing the Math, if we get back to around $8,500 a month income it will again look like a deal. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

cheapest isnt ‘free open source junk’. Fusion 360 is free and not many think Autodesk is open source junk. Its pretty much full functionality and free if you make less than 100k USD - from using their software…