Opacity of imported image

hi all
forgive my stupidity
have been using make forever…
have just downloaded pro 2021 and cant find the tool to fade up/down or control the opacity of an imported image so i can make it nice and faint to trace over sort of thing
anybody ?
thx

You could switch to Xray or you could import the image as a texture and adjust the opacity in editing the material.

I generally prefer to leave the image as is and change the style so the edges I’m drawing are easier to see. Maybe make the Edge color red. If you find faces getting in the way you can switch to Wireframe.

1 Like

ok so import as atexture is the answer then i can play with it from there?
also ive just realised layers has become tags … that took me a while … how do i name my tags?

Same way as you used to do layers.

ok cant seem to do that presently

When you create a new tag by clicking on the +, the name field should be ready to type in.
Screenshot - 1_23_2021 , 12_06_39 PM

If you want to edit the name, Click on it twice and type.
Tags

Remember that usage is still effectively the same. Untagged remains active at all times, All edges and faces are created and remain untagged. Only components and groups are given tags.

Image Opacity plugin by Thom Thom is my personal favorite. This allows you to adjust image opacity without having to explode the image as a texture. Although it hasn’t been working for me in SketchUp 2023 for some reason.

You should tell @thomthom about that, maybe he can fix it for you…

1 Like

Maybe, but I’d need some more description than “not working”.

1 Like

It works fine for me in SU2023.

1 Like

Or … use your imported image as texture and change the opacity in the settings to change the visibility of the block/components?:
sup image to texture with opacity

A benefit of leaving the image as an image is that it will be displayed even if the face style is set to Monochrome, Shaded, Hidden Line, or Wireframe. It also continues to show if you have component or group open for editing. If the image is converted to a texture it won’t be seen in those cases.

Image:

Texture:

1 Like

Dave, I cannot open Thom Thom’s image opacity . Am running a 2023 macbook air with os Sonoma ( =OS version 2023) . Alspo have latest version of TT lib^2 as he requires. I cannot reach him through Trimble. If Image ioopacity loads properly and is readily shown as signed in extension manager but ther is no command line showing image opacity or just " opacity " when right licking of highlighted image in question. Any suggestions and if none can you raise Thomas for his suggestions? Thanks, Richard Stanley

Oops: some corrections to last post;
“Alspo” = Also…
“If Image ioopacity”= Image Opacity …
"right licking of highlighted " = right clicking of the highlighted…

What version of SketchUp? Please update AND complete your forum profile.

I don’t know what to tell you. It works just fine in SketchUp 2023 on Windows. I showed that back in July and I just tried it again.
opacity

Dave. I’m sorry for late response,
I’ve been abit away from my desk --and anything resembling the internet --for past several months as part of our non profit’s work (see www.legacyfound.org if you are curious) .
My Su version is 2023 . Image opacity issue is with a 2023 model Macbook air. I do not run a PC . I will complete my profile soon . Any ideas about image opacity issue on a mac or about whom I should contact if you are not familiar, would be appreciated. There is no reveal of image opacity on any of my drop down menus although the Extension manager shows it to be installed. Richard S

Are you context clicking on an image in the model. The extension is a context menu item and will only show if you right click on an image. If you select the thing does Entity Info show it as an image?

If you can’t get it to work you could try contacting the author.

FWIW, with the recent release of SketchUp 2024, you can assume there will be no further updates to 2023.