Old fella needs help

Is this something you plan to turn?
So the curve isn’t needing to be cnc perfect, it is there to give you a guide to get the dimensions of the blocks and assemble them before turning?

Box,

Yes it will be turned by hand and I will make a couple of patterns as a guide
for the shape. On my drawing you can see the rectangles that represents the different segments of each row in height.
TropicalGuyCns.

Can you tell me the exact height you want it to be.

One other thing if I may, when measuring distances from the center line, if I type in say 6.15/16" the mark seems to round up to 7". Is there a grid that I don’t know about? If so where do I find it?

TropicalGuyCns.

Box,

18’5" but that’s flexible.

TropicalGuyCns.

Do you mean 18 feet 5 inches or are you just wanting to work larger because the real thing is 18 1/2 inches.

Don’t use the . just type 6 15/16" and hit enter.

Box,

Sorry 18.5inches (469.9mm)

TropicalGuyCns.

I think if you had this on paper full size you would of best transferred the drawing to your wood with carbon paper perhaps, without the need for sketchup at all? I took you curve/profile and roughed out a render, there is a small nick in the neck, but I’m sure you’ll smooth that out when you make it/sand it.

1 Like

Ok, here it is, I have not changed the curve at all, just pulled the left half out of the mess and copied it to the other side. I deleted all the rest and put this back together at the size you specified, and in exactly the same place.
Unfortunately I think you’ve been creating some strange measurements due to adding in the . where you didn’t need it, so even set to the maximum fractional display precision it will still show most measurements with a tilde, the ~ you see in front of measurements.

Exp 1 Euro DecanterBox.skp (31.8 KB)

Steve,
That looks great! Attached is the download I got from YouTube, you will see there is a lot more detail I hadn’t included in the drawing.

TropicalGuyCns.

As I mentioned before I have uploaded 2020 Pro and was wondering if my previous files from 2019 should be transferred into 2020 Pro on installation.
Also a few strange things are showing up on a drawing. see attached. Different line weights and background.

Exp 1 Euro Decanter.skp (6.1 MB)

I’m not sure I’m following what’s going on here. You seem to have uploaded the very same file that you did before.
I took that file, cleaned and fixed for you.
It was easier for now to fix it than to try to show you what the issues were. I hoped you would look at the file and be able to move forward with your job and we could address how you got there later.
But it doesn’t appear you have even noticed that I added a file for you. Also note that mine is 31.8kb and yours is 6.1mb

I made a quick gif showing the basic issue with your model.
It looks like you constructed the curves you needed then hid everything else, then you tried to move your curves to the left. Problem is it’s all connected and you dragged the hidden geometry along with it.
Hidden geometry

1 Like

Camera and Style settings can make modeling easy or difficult.
The model you shared leans toward the latter.

See this copy of the model:
Exp 1 Euro Decanter_001.skp (6.2 MB)

Box,
Thanks again for your help. I understand that it must be very frustrating for you to deal problems that are simple to some one of your skill levels but we all have to learn, thus the reason for posting these questions. The problems were as you stated with hidden geometry. I have spent much time on Tutorials for SU and while they show you what to do it doesn’t necessarily explain the reason behind what is going on. (" It was easier for now to fix it than to try to show you what the issues were".)

Kind regards,

TropicalGuyCns.

I wasn’t having a go at you or saying you shouldn’t post questions.
I was just that I fixed the model for you and you don’t seem to have downloaded and looked at it.
If you have you haven’t mentioned it, you just uploaded your own model again.

I apologize for any misunderstanding, I’m fairly thick skinned. I did see your post and it looked like mine except for the strange lines and background on mine, also as you mentioned the size difference between the 2. I’m reasonably old school and when in my workshop I use to draw a rough sketch and start to work but that’s very time consuming and leads to many changes from the original sketch. Enter SU Pro. and thus the very steep learning curve for someone like myself.

TropicalGuyCns.
PS: What part of Oz are you from?

My comment that it was easier to fix was because, as you said my skill level is a bit above yours, and it’s actually quite difficult to fix something that is messed up. I can do it quickly because I know what tools to use and how to use them.
My real advice to you should have been, sorry you need to start again, but this time with a few differences.

Here is a very basic bezier, just randomly like your shape to give the idea, but I have drawn it on a surface that has been grouped. This means the curves you draw don’t stick to the underlying geometry and make a mess, but they do stay flat.
I have also put in a few edges as an Idea of giving yourself some sort of structure to follow. That’s what I thought you were originally doing with all the blocks. I would have drawn all your blocks as a reference and grouped them then drawn the curve over the top.
The main point is to create the curves as flat geometry that doesn’t stick to anything else, and groups/components are how geometry is separated in sketchUp.

Basic Bez

2 Likes

Box,
I really appreciate the time you have spent with me on this and your last post has helped no end. Just to explain about the first post on this subject. The original drawing was done free hand to scale and a layout for my segments.All the rectangles represent the size of each segment so as you have enough material (Wall Thickness) when turning the piece. I thought that since I had the piece drawn to scale there must be a way to import into SU and just print it out and make any patterns necessary,

TropicalGuyCns.

Yes there would be, if you have a large enough scanner or can photograph it from directly above/perpendicular so the image isn’t skewed…
But you may as well take it to the local copy shop and get them to copy it to the full size for you.
Importing the image is just that, an image, you still need to draw the geometry if that’s what you want.