Noob questions about sending an .skp out for printing

Hi Guys,

I downloaded a Sketchup .skp file of a little puzzle. I’m really new to Sketchup and 3d printings. I have a couple of questions.

1. The puzzle is multiple pieces. The .skp has the puzzle assembled. Can I just convert it to .dae and send it to shape ways for printing or will I need to separate the 4 components and have them printed as individual parts?

2. I tried deleting parts of the puzzle, but it deletes the whole thing. Obviously the parts are grouped together some how. Is there an easy way to ungroup and view the components individually?

3. How do i know what units value to choose when I send the exported .dae to shapeways? It looks like the drawing is done in inches, but I can change to MM using /window/model info/ units.

Thank you in advance.

B

1 ?

2 Right click on the “grouped together” components and select ‘Explode’ in the context menu that appears. Now you should have the four separate components (or are they “just” sepatate groups?).

1. You seem to know how to set the model units settings to millimeters.
    You can resize the puzzle’s size to the same value as in inches bu using the ‘Tape Measure’ tool.
  • draw a line say 10 inches
  • change units to mm
  • with the ‘Tape Measure’ tool measure the line. The measurements box down right will read 254 mm.
    immediately type 10mm and hit [Enter] and answer the next question with ‘Yes’.
    (do include the units mm if you have not changed the units settings to mm yet! But then the previous reading would still have been in inches, …10)

[quote=“berdar, post:1, topic:14665”]The puzzle is multiple pieces. The .skp has the puzzle assembled. Can I just convert it to .dae and send it to shape ways for printing or will I need to separate the 4 components and have them printed as individual parts?
[/quote]

They have to be separated, or they will be merged into one singe piece.