Converting SKP files to 3D Printables

I am going to be designing 3d models to sell. So although uploading them to 3d warehouse for printing is a great feature of sketchUp it would not be good for me as anyone could use them for the same purpose. I have been using sketchUp for a long time now and find it to be one of the best drawing programs out there. I downloaded 123d and am finding it pretty difficult to master.
Does anyone know any program that would be capable of converting (.skp) files to 3d printable ones. Thank in advance for any suggestions.
Akomet

If you are planning to sell your SketchUp models you should find a different place to host them instead of the Warehouse.

SketchUp is capable of making 3D printable models. There are several different exporters depending upon the file type you need.

Of course since you are going to be selling the models or the 3D printed objects you create using SketchUp, you’ll need to upgrade from Make to SketchUp Pro.

1 Like

(Moved to 3D Printing sub-category, and re-titled to reflect OP’s actual question.)

1 Like

If the model was designed with 3D printing in mind, then you simply need to export it to a format for 3D printing, for example with this plugin.

If the model was not designed for 3D printing and is filled with holes, thin wall, reversed faces, and other problems, no program will help you export it for 3D printing - it simply needs to be re-drawn, in SketchUp or any 3D modeling program. Do you know the basics of designing for 3D printing using SketchUp?

Now if the model is mostly good, and simply has a few minor errors that need fixing, you can upload the STL to Netfabb Online and it will repair the model for you in a few minutes. It will not fix thin-wall errors or anything major like that though.

1 Like

d12dozr SketchUpper
February 28

akomet:

Does anyone know any program that would be capable of converting (.skp) files to 3d printable ones.

If the model was designed with 3D printing in mind, then you simply need to export it to a format for 3D printing, for example with this plugin.

If the model was not designed for 3D printing and is filled with holes, thin wall, reversed faces, and other problems, no program will help you export it for 3D printing - it simply needs to be re-drawn, in SketchUp or any 3D modeling program. Do you know the basics of designing for 3D printing using SketchUp?

Now if the model is mostly good, and simply has a few minor errors that need fixing, you can upload the STL to Netfabb Online and it will repair the model for you in a few minutes. It will not fix thin-wall errors or anything major like that though.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

1 Like

There is a new extension on sketchup called MakePrintable that you can use to convert .skp files into printable STL or OBJ, you can even directly send it to shapeways in case you are selling there!

You can search for it directly in the extension warehouse or use the below link:
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/makeprintable-3d-mesh-repair

Let me know what you think of it in case you tried it out

2 Likes