Newbie here confused by inferences notes

Hi all,
I understand about RTF and my question seems to not really be searchable. Learning SU thru a book and endless YouTube vides which are awesome. My issue is that I understand inference points and colors but for some reason I never get a dialogue box like " End point" etc

Spent too many hours on my own and hope someone can show me the way.

Thanks

Oh, running an iMac with 10.7.5

A simple key for dealing with the inferencing engine is to hover over the contact element and allow the tool-tip to appear. It usually only requires a second or so, but you need to keep the mouse relatively still for that small period. What did you mean by “RTF”?

Are you saying you don’t get the text cues for the inferencing? Do you get tool tips when you hover over tool palette icons?

@jvleearchitects, I expect he means RTFM.

Thanks guys
JVL: RTF means “read the forum” and yes I have tried that
Dave: Yes thats what I am saying, I never get text ques regardless of hovering

So, this seems like a new 2017 issue. I get inference tool tips in 2016, but not in 2017. Pointing at any of the tools does show a tool tip. Inferences themselves are working, there’s just no text appearing.

It must involve particular combinations of Mac hardware and OS X. I’m seeing them as normal on my mid-2012 MBPR, macOS 10.12.2. The tooltips for toolbars are a bit sluggish to appear (maybe a bit over a second), but the inference engine markers and text are immediate.

Pretty sure on windows I can turn tooltips on/ off somewhere. Not sure about the option on mac, you would know better than me. @slbaumgartner

I don’t know of any such option on Mac. If somebody does, please enlighten us!

I am having the same issue in Sketchup Pro 2022 for Mac. I am working on a Mac Studio. Has there been a resolution of this problem? thanks Matt

Some time after my post 5 1/2 years ago, we did work out what the problem was, assuming you’re asking about the desktop version and not the web version.

Close SketchUp, then in Finder, choose Go to Folder… from the Go menu. Paste in this text:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/SharedPreferences.json

The ~ at the start of the line is important, without it you end up in the wrong Library folder.

Open SharePreferences.json in TextEdit, and look for the Preferences section. One of the lines in preferences will be like this:

"ShowInferenceTips": true,

If it’s false, change it to true. If it is not there at all, add the “ShowInferenceTips”: true, text as a new line in the preferences section. If you do that alphabetically, you will end up with a few lines that read like this:

"SaveBackup": false,
            "ShowInferenceTips": true,
            "ShowStylesWarning": 1,

Open SketchUp again and the help tips should be showing.

That worked, thanks so much!!!