New to SketchUp-getting started

Hi Guys,

I’m new to skethcup and new to the forum too. I wanted to ask all the Pro’s out there if I need to have a background in manual hand drafting in order to learn, understand, and move forward in Sketchup in making Plans, Sections, Details, ect. Please advise! Thanks so much!

Nope. You don’t. Do take time to watch the Getting Started video at SketchUp.com, though. If you’ll be using this in your business, you’ll want to get SketchUp Pro.

2 Likes

In fact, a background in manual 2d drawing or its computer-aided equivalent can sometimes be an impediment to learning 3D modeling, as one has to overcome a burden of “this is how it has always been done”. Best to start with an open mind and to study the tutorial videos to see how SketchUp is intended to work.

2 Likes

SketchuUp is a fabulous tool in helping one explore and finalize designs, including buildings, before beginning the follow on process of creating construction drawings.

As commented above, knowing the techniques of manual drafting can create “rabbit holes” to overcome, in pursuing best practices of modeling with SketchUp.

As you pursue continuing education, I recommend combining a strong understanding of Sketchup (and Layout) with a strong understanding of construction drawing mechanics to achieve the ability to professionally and successfully present your designs and dreams.

In school, they taught me hand drafting first, but you could start with SketchUp because it’s relatively easy to learn.

I went to watch the getting started video and they are showing you how to use sketch up pro 2016. I just got 2021. A lot of things are different. Suggestions where I can get tutorials for 2021?

You dredged up an ancient thread and link. Start with learn.sketchup.com and then the square One videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-bndkJaV8A7R2t970OmHY6kPGJwTfGP2

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been having a hard time finding my way through all the options. There doesn’t seem to be any logical road signs

What kind of “road signs” are you looking for.

In that first link that Dave gave, “SketchUp Fundamentals” is a good place to start.

In the second link you can go through each tool that SketchUp has, one after the other.

I sent this to sketch up (below). They requested I post it in the forum. It was difficult simply downloading the software. Then there continues to be no simple, easy ways to navigate through the learning process. I think you should have a button or section just for beginners. The “getting started” link you have takes you to YouTube videos about sketch up that are in no order at all by topic, age or software. Finding you who may be able to point me at the correct resources is good, but it seems like it would be better for your customers if every individual didn’t have to go through this same process.

I just purchased Sketchup pro. The whole process has been anti-intuitive. I spent about two hours attempting to purchase the software initially. The little item that goes around in circles kept going and going with nothing happening. I kept closing and re-doing the process with the same results. I refreshed the screen with the same results. Finally one time, my cursor accidentally went over the buffering symbol that was going around in circles and I saw a message that said “if you didn’t get your confirmation email to start your account click here”. Problem solved on that issue. I purchased the software, then no instructions were given on how to start using the software. By searching my confirmation email about purchasing, I found a link with information about my account. Once in it, I found instructions to download the software I purchased. I would recommend you work on making your product a bit more user friendly for those of us that aren’t computer techs.

No you don’t. You’ll be fine :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for trying Dave. It says sketch up sage next to your name. I thought that meant you worked for them.