There is a new tagging feature on Discourse now!
This plugin provides tagging functionality to Discourse. When users create topics they can optionally attach tags.
Tags are a useful alternative to categories. For example being able to tag a topic as “SketchUp 2015 issue”, “FAQ”, “Installation”, “Wiki-Posts”, “SUMake” and “Ruby” would be useful. (or other trends you notice that don’t deserve a category)
- Users can tag topics with tags
- We have restricted who can tag to a particular trust level
- Users can choose to auto watch tags as desired
- Users can list all tags, and filter topics by tag
- There are bulk tools to assign tags to many topics at once and to rename tags.
- A tag is “created” if it’s used at least once and it’s created during topic creation.
- Max tags per topic is limited to 5.
- Max tag length is limited to 20 characters.
- Minimum trust level to create a tag is Level 2.
- Minimum trust level to tag topics is level 0.
- When searching for tags, the maximum number of results to show is 10.
- There is a dropdown to filter a topic list by tag.
- Max tags in filter list is 30.
- You can’t currently search for tags, but they plan to implement that feature soon.
- Make sure you keep titles are descriptive and posts contain consistent terms when discussing the same concepts.
- See all the tags being used here.
- A new user (level zero) cannot make/free-type a tag, they can only choose from a list of existing tags.
- The main advantage of tags is they can cross cut across multiple categories.