New SketchUp Pricing Model...?

Do you see the insanity of rebutting what you and we can clearly see as an opinion with your own opinion?

1 Like

This argument is used quite often by ‘classic’ users, who, contrary to new subscribers, in fact do keep having access. It might not be the latest version, but they will always be able to use that version.
You never hear complaints from the new generation.

If you feel you are being held hostage, go to the police and report.

There is no law that states you should use software at all, I believe.

here in good old blighty we can fly the union jack again, no more having to fly that funny blue flag with yellow stars!

Christophe,

I noticed, Revit users joined up and made a statement.
You will probably never hear from it, again
(They won’t brag about the deals they got)

I did a course for BIM management last December, all I got was a bunch of urls and a thick manual of Revit 2021.

It has some very nice features and has a lot going on ‘under the hood’ but I probably wouldn’t buy a subscription if I still would be contracting.

We do, too!
That reminds me, we almost doubled our company since 2018. We even have to order on saturdays now, some orders weren’t processed, for we reached the day limit’s max credit at Trimble.

Insanity? Please. Where did you get the idea sketchup is hated? At least I’m saying mine is an opinion instead of acting like it’s the truth, like you are doing. I’ve only seen hate for sketchup from people who think it is overpriced (it isn’t) or who don’t know how to use it.

1 Like

That isn’t stated as a condescending fact??
In most cases, I don’t think you have to say it’s an opinion to know it’s an opinion.

You left out the first half of the sentence I wrote, missing my point entirely. It was clearly and undeniably my observation and nothing more. There’s no way you could read that and think it was a statement of fact.

1 Like

It just seems that people who don’t like a product should relax and not buy it. Use another product.

4 Likes

mmm, welcome in the grown-ups world…
For a start, before investing time in other software, take some time in literature, as well:

This reminds me of the 49-ers during the goldrush in California, most revenue was generated by the hardware stores that sold the tools to search for gold, not by the gold diggers themselves. :wink:

1 Like

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking. I kept the desktop version because it does exactly what I need for my woodworking projects. I finally lost the install after several PC changes. I don’t care for the online version at all and don’t do anything more complicated than home woodworking projects. Paying this rental fee is not at all what I’m interested in but the pay as the user feels is warranted for their personal situation is sorely needed.

I hear you. I haven’t used SketchUp for 3 Years, but I renewed my Pro license every year which seems a waste of money. Wish I knew a more economical way to stay current with SU features without bleeding cash.

1 Like

IMO you don’t have to renew now so just keep using the version you have and save money. Buy a subscription if you must have a new version, some where down the road. I haven’t had the urge to get off 2019 myself (feels like i just got here from 2016 :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes

I can’t understand why so many people are defending Trimble after they sold out the very community that supported their development. I’ve been promoting Sketchup for years, and now that the company has modeled their platform on greed and profit, I’ve stopped, and I have some regret over the past decade of praising Sketchup’s capabilities to friends, colleges including Government. I used to look forward to every update, like it was Christmas morning, I think that’s what strung me along with renewing my Annual Maintenance fee. Looking back, the updates were minimal, costly, and buggy.
Wake up and be honest, call it like it is, I admire the few people that can voice their honest option, and I’m puzzled with those of you that settle for minimal advancement, all the while paying your dues and defending the company for updates that should have been part of the software package to begin with.
What gives, how is Trimble going to be held to some degree of accountability to its consumer base if you’re all so darn happy with its subpar performance and aggressive marketing that’s driven by profit.
Trimble can do better; we have a responsibility to demand better for the advancement of the platform. To start with Trimble should make the software available to a wider community, which reduces the cost per user. Dumping the classic version was a huge turn off for many, it’s a slap in the face. I refuse to go subscription solely on merit, I can’t partake and contribute to SketchUp’s Corporate Marketing Scheme when its Obviously motivated purely on its Profit Margin and so easily dismisses its base. Wake up people, and smell the coffee, the honey moon has long been over.

2 Likes

That is the unhelpful love it or leave it argument. There is nothing wrong, and everything right, about expressing concerns or disappointment, asking for change and improvement, more so if significantly invested in time and money.

Many defenders tend to defend what they have bought into because they have a hard time hearing a different perspective or that they might be wrong.

For the life of me I don’t know why anyone would defend the current $ model as opposed to what I suggested, which should be completely sustainable if the app improves. And if they don’t improve well, why should we have to keep paying a subscription?

1 Like

You’ve made this claim many times. What is it based on besides a “hunch,” really?

What makes you think this?

Yeah, it might even attract customers.

That’s what I thought. A hunch from some forum comments.

2 Likes

Wow… It has been a while since I have been in here. I just wanted to say that anyone reading these posts should be cautious. Although I AM a team member I have no involvement in pricing in any way shape or form. Having said that…

There are MANY posts in this thread that are full of speculation and misinformation. There are posts “detailing” the changes of SketchUp as it has gone from one company to another that are plain wrong. There are posts suggesting motives and plans by people who have NO connection to the ones who make the decisions.

I know… the internet is FULL of this kind of misinformation, but I feel the need to just say this: If information is not being presented from official sources, then you should be cautious about giving it any weight in any decision making. If this were not the official SketchUp forum I would not have posted about this, but people come here to get the truth about what is going on, and this topic has strayed hard from truth!

7 Likes

I have to at least like a product to care, but you are right the suggestions are fine, and there’s nothing perfect about SketchUp. Maybe when they lose all the users, they’ll know what they could have done. One should make complaints, especially if you are an ongoing customer.

I don’t see myself as a defender. I just buy a product and use it, if it works for me. I don’t even think of the buy-in. I do think sometimes about the cost to learn a new program when I consider migrating. I haven’t thought much about the cost of SketchUp either. After all they have various free versions.

I have had a lot of software become disappointing, and I guess I’ve decided that I have a design business, and too busy with that to worry about someone’s software business. Maybe I misinterpreted the tenor of the discussion and it’s not really stressful at all.

You are, of course, welcome to speculate… I just wanted to let other readers know that it is just that… You are guessing at what is happening and not actual fact.

2 Likes

I am glad that that didn’t happen. The changes made might not be to your likings, but they are there and I don’t believe the SketchUp team’s mission is to upset their loyal user base with new pricing models.

I do believe that in order to survive, it has to invest in the new developments and be ready for what’s coming up, next.
Modeling itself isn’t that important, anymore, it’s more and more all the things around. Content enabled, Constructible models made to Collaborate adds more value and as a small, one person company, I still get the chance to work with larger companies and stay out of AD’s hands.

If that means a new pricing model, so be it.

I just received an email from Microsoft about upcoming changes of terms of their services, sighh.

I even promoted Word back in the days!
(But I made some money back then, too)

I just read this explanation of Bob Dylan’s ‘Times are a changing’:

And yet what has been called one of the most famous protest songs of all, isn’t really a protest song at all. It isn’t protesting about anything, rather saying, “time to wake up, the world has moved on”. It is a song about perception. You don’t have to rise up and overthrow the evil empire, but rather just admit that the world has changed irrevocably. So be careful – it might just pass you by, and you might just be left wondering where the old world went.

https://bob-dylan.org.uk/archives/1589

1 Like