New build for vray rendering?

Hi I have a few questions. I build PC’s as a part time job and recently started working in an architecture firm. There are two main PC’s they use for rendering here and they render slower than I think they should, specs as follows:

i7 4790
16gb ram
Gtx750ti

I also notice that enabling gpu acceleartion seems to slow down the rendering rather than speeding it up, why would that be so? Also the computer is almost rendered unusable once it starts rendering even though capped at 80% utilization. All the renders we do in the company are on low/draft quality never exceeding 900x506 and they take hours for more complex scenes. Should I build a new PC for them if so would you guys be able to give me some direction? Thanks

We are using VRAY 3.4 adv

You’ll probably get a proper and better response if you ask in official Vray forum.

—[quote=“bboyx3, post:1, topic:47758”]
There are two main PC’s they use for rendering here and they render slower than I think they should
[/quote]
There are a lot of reasons that might increase render time. And i think it should take less than an hour for a complex scene for those specs (But i believe it can be reduced by adjusting settings & parameters. Often time people use those parameters excessively).
So it will be great if you can share some screenshots of scenes & their settings (+materials) etc.[quote=“bboyx3, post:1, topic:47758”]
I also notice that enabling gpu acceleartion seems to slow down the rendering rather than speeding it up, why would that be so?
[/quote]
I’m not sure but GPU acceleration doesn’t necessarily speed it up if your GPU is worse than CPU which i think in your case is. (Or it might be because you’re using a feature that is unsupported by GPUs yet)

Also take a look at ChaosGroup’s benchmark. Use the search box for your specs. You can download standalone benchmark (top-right), test yours too and compare.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, But I’m looking to put together a new build for vray rendering. We’re looking to spend about 1500 usd. However if justified I would be happy to spend more I was thinking something like an AMD ryzen 7 with 32gb of ram with no GPU (as from the benchmark thing you sent me it appears to be twice as fast) or a E5-2620 seems to be around the same price any suggestions for which one I should go for? Or anything else. Or am I better with just getting something like a 980ti and putting it into the current system? Thanks so much again.

Keep in mind, CPU and GPU render is different in the way they handle that specific scene.
One may be better suited than the other for that specific case.
Even the benchmark software renders different scene depending on the method that you use.

I have i7-3770 and GTX 750 Ti, and they spend about the same time for benchmarks
I do think Ryzen build will benefit you well since it has more cores, but can’t be so sure.

As you can see from this topic i created, CPU specs comparison makes -almost- no sense (at least it’s my conclusion). So, you must trust benchmark outputs. That gives somewhat ‘objective’ results and comparisons that softwares/websites provide us. And as a general rule newer is better. Thus i would prefer Ryzen 7 over E5-2620.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.