Need Help - My Model Disappeared

I was using the soap skin/ bubble tool and then my model glitched and all I can see now is the gray floor color.
I had used the extension a few times successfully before the glitch.

I tried viewing guides, orbiting and zoom extent and nothing works.
I tried the select all, copy and paste in a new file… didnt work either.
I looked at the model info and there are things still in the file, I just can’t see them.

I have read some forum chat about using ruby console to look for bugs and infinite dimensions but I don’t know where to even start with that.

Can someone help me please?
Fort Martello.skp (7.1 MB)

hello, can you attach the file ?

1 Like

It is now uploaded on the original post

Fort Martello.skp (1.2 MB)

1 Like

Ah!! Thank you soo much! Is there something I did that can be avoided in the future? Or a simple fix that I should know of?

I expect you had some label or something attached to something you deleted which sent the label off to the far reaches of the universe. I ran a little plugin that chugged away and sorted it out.

1 Like

I am facing a similar problem with my file. The entire model has just vanished but there are items showing in model info. Please help me in getting my model back.
Blocks 3D_1.skp (2.8 MB)

This is what I see after fixing your model.

I also fixed incorrect tag usage.

And purged unused stuff from the model.
Screenshot - 6_1_2021 , 4_58_49 PM
For about 27% file size reduction.

Blocks 3D_1 fixed.skp (2.1 MB)

Thank you so much. It really saved me a lot of time and energy.

Hi, I have the same problem after using bubble skin drawing is lost , can you maybe help me to restore the original drawing? I use sketchup on Mac.

Maybe I can help but you need to upload the SketchUp model so I can see.

file is too big to upload directly, here is the link to my google drive where you can download Chata Mara 5~~ copy.skp - Google Drive

OK. So I have this after fixing the camera and turning on the tags. Note also I fixed incorrect tag usage. ALL edges and faces should be created and remain untagged.
Screenshot - 11_17_2021 , 10_22_45 AM

Then I purged unused stuff from the file. It’s a good idea to purge your model periodically. This reduced the file size by about a third.
Screenshot - 11_17_2021 , 10_23_00 AM

Here’s a link to the updated file: Dropbox - File Deleted

Thank you very, very, very much. You helped me a lot.

There was a group in the model that has an insanely large size. I can’t tell how it was created or what it contained, but deleting it is the key to making the model usable again. The other fixups @DaveR did weren’t why it wasn’t visible, but they get it back to good modeling practices.

understand, think this was the group created by the Bubble skin extension. In fact problem happen when I was trying to edit the face created by bubble skin. Will avoid to use this extension, to prevent such problems. Thanks one more time

I ignored the huge group. Figured there was some reason for it. Maybe not.

There’s no reason to avoid Soap Skin Bubble. I don’t think it was the cause of your trouble.

After erasing the edges that were effectively infinite, this is what I found in the bad group. It appears to be one side of the hull surface. I would probably try to skin it using Fredo6’s curviloft.

Hello Daver, can you look at my model please. I’m having the same trouble and in a big issue if i can’t recover

Bit hard to look at a model that isn’t there.