Need help making a recessed hole in curved wall

Help please.

I’m trying to make a rectangular, recessed hole in a curved wall. I don’t want the hole to go all the way through the wall. I have tried making the box a component, pushing through wall, exploding, then interesting faces. But when I delete the section of the box outside of the curved wall, there are no interior walls. It just deletes the box. I hope this makes sense?

If this were not a flat wall, I would just make a rectangle in the wall and use push/pull. I know how to push a hole all the way through the wall from watching tutorials.

Thanks in advance,

Goober boy

Is the cylinder shape exploded too or are you bringing the box inside the group/component?
If yes, then is a matter of scale- sketchup can’t create small faces. Try scaling up by 10 or 100 times then after the editing scale down.
Uploading the model will help a lot.

Does this mean that the interior side of the wall is a cylinder, the outer side has a bulge, and you want to create a “niche” in that bulge? As already noted, it would help a lot in finding the answer if you can upload your model or provide a link from which it can be downloaded.

Wow that was a fast reply!

I have attached the file. I watched an online video on how to make a cylinder hole in a curved surface and was trying to use a similar technique for my model.

My project is a little different in that I wish to make a recessed rectangle hole in the curved surface. I don’t want the rectangular box to go all the way through the curved wall.

The model is 10X what the final printed model will be. I did have a lot of trouble with faces when using original size.

Thanks again.

test.skp (413.5 KB)

Sort of like this? All I did was scale up by another factor of 10 just as a precaution, move the box into the solid, run intersect faces with model, delete extra geometry, and scale back down. The cleanup was a bit tedious, as there were a lot of faces left on the surface, but not difficult.

test.skp (377.8 KB)

First turn off hidden geometry and smooth the surface.

1 Like

than you so very much!

thanks so much for all your help! wonderful community users. I have learned so many new techniques with SU from this request.